My growing fleet of 80s steel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
It's just over 6 months since I've got into refurbishing/restoring bicycles. I've shown a few pictures, but here's the lot in one glorious technicolor images. I know most are just basic gas pipes but they've taught me a lot about bicycles.

1. Raleigh Rapide - first and to date only restoration. This really was a labour of love with a complete strip down and repainting. Think this one will always have a special place.

2. Raleigh Flyer - picked this up as a real bargain. A quick wash and replacement of tyres and handlebar tape and she's looking quite sweet. In really good condition paint wise.

3. Astra Havanna - I nicknamed this the beast. It's big, it's heavy but a real joy going down hill. New tyres, brakes, seat and handlebar foam gives this a real 80s look. The stem gear levers are lovely to use.

4. Hawk Phantom - Picked this one up for my son before being replaced by the Rapide. Although nothing special it is really nice to ride and the basic shimano derallieurs are actually really smooth changing.

5. Emmelle Replica 12 - not started this yet. Just going to do a basic refurb on it, remove the knackered decals and see how it rides. It'll make a half decent bicycle for someone.

I still have 6 other bikes to start from a 1936 ladies coventry eagle, a couple of triumph 3 speeds to the 80s Bianchi I'm currently fully restoring.

Long live the old steel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

LimeBurn

Über Member
That Astra is a dead ringer for the Raleigh Banana from the same era. Mines in the shed stripped awaiting restoration.^_^

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It's just over 6 months since I've got into refurbishing/restoring bicycles. I've shown a few pictures, but here's the lot in one glorious technicolor images. I know most are just basic gas pipes but they've taught me a lot about bicycles.

1. Raleigh Rapide - first and to date only restoration. This really was a labour of love with a complete strip down and repainting. Think this one will always have a special place.

2. Raleigh Flyer - picked this up as a real bargain. A quick wash and replacement of tyres and handlebar tape and she's looking quite sweet. In really good condition paint wise.

3. Astra Havanna - I nicknamed this the beast. It's big, it's heavy but a real joy going down hill. New tyres, brakes, seat and handlebar foam gives this a real 80s look. The stem gear levers are lovely to use.

4. Hawk Phantom - Picked this one up for my son before being replaced by the Rapide. Although nothing special it is really nice to ride and the basic shimano derallieurs are actually really smooth changing.

5. Emmelle Replica 12 - not started this yet. Just going to do a basic refurb on it, remove the knackered decals and see how it rides. It'll make a half decent bicycle for someone.

I still have 6 other bikes to start from a 1936 ladies coventry eagle, a couple of triumph 3 speeds to the 80s Bianchi I'm currently fully restoring.

Long live the old steel
Cool collection! Liking the Flyer.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
I'm keeping my eye out for a Bianchi. Some lovely bikes there!

sidevalve

Über Member
That Astra is a dead ringer for the Raleigh Banana from the same era. Mines in the shed stripped awaiting restoration.^_^
Falcon also did a banana the only difference I can find was that the raleigh model didn't have an index gear system. Otherwise all three seem pretty much identical.

Yamyamsteve

Regular
Well that's the Hawk Phantom gone. Now to get rid of a couple more, then I can buy some new ones hehe.
Got a hawk phantom as well can't decide if I wanna restore or not .. as of yet can't find anything in the way of decals etc on the net obviously not one of the most popular bikes ever made .. do you mind me asking how much you sold for?

johnnyb47

Guru
You brought back some memories posting that picture of the Hawk Phantom. For the life of me I could never remember the name of the Bike my dad had many moons ago. He bought it from Woolworths back in the early 80s and as it turned out it was the Hawk..( you've just jogged my memory ).
If I remember rightly the gears had a huge ratio spread and the paint work was a dull silver. I personally didn't like the bike but dad thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. He did a lot of miles on that bike cycling 16 miles daily on has commute to work..The longest ride we did was a 70 ride. I was 14 at the time and it was a day we have never forgotten. He was never a mechanically sympathetic person and the bike didn't live for very long and ended up in the skip after a few years of hard treatment and neglect. Fond memories of the past :-)

Top Bottom