My mind set has changed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
Back in 2015 I done London to Paris, now I spent a year training for this but the last 3 months I lost the love of cycling as I was putting to much pressure on my self to get out and always said to myself I have to go out and do say 40miles. Now when i was out i was always thinking I'm being selfish leaving the wife at home with a 4year old and a 13yr old. So i could never enjoy the ride, with that also i used to always do the same routes and then i got to a point where i was trying to do routes without any hills in.

So after the L2P ride, the road bike never did any further rides, i continued riding my 29er to work which was a 4miles round trip.

In 2016 I changed job. Bikes not being used and taking up space, so with that i sould the road bike and the 29er and bought a cx bike. I still wanted a bike to so i could go out with the kids and when we go camping i could go off for a little trundle. Well beginning of 2020 i decided i wanted a mtb as the cx bike wasnt very comfortable in the woods, so i sold the cx and bout a cube attention 27.5 and I've been riding it for 3 months now. Since this lockdown I've ridden it even more. In the last 3 weeks i have done more than 100 miles on the mtb which I'm proud off. Also my attitude to cycling has changed, i dont care if i hit a hill, I'm actually trying to find them when I'm out in the woods and on trails, aslong as i get up it that's all that matters to me. With this new attitude to cycling I'm going to be purchasing a road bike again so I'm going to mix the 2 of them. I cant wait for this to happen. But I will do it differently to before, I'm not going to tell myself I need to do *** miles, I'm just going to hit the road and see where I go, turn down roads I dont normally go down and things like that.

With the kids being older it's easier at home so I can enjoy the cycling more, plus I'm also getting the family out on there bikes during this lockdown which I'm enjoying.

I dont know why I needed to write this but I felt I did for me.

Happy cycling folks

Levo-Lon

Guru
It's about what makes you happy,nothing more.

My mindset changed many years ago. Grinding out mile after mile on a road bike became dull and unbearable. The pain of pushing ever harder, for what?
A break enabled me to return with a completely different outlook.
No longer worried about minuscule weight gains. I actually enjoyed cycling again. Riding for pleasure in the countryside or commuting at a comfortable pace. Slowing right down to enjoy a few miles riding with my kids. That's what it's about.

Top Bottom