My Return to Recumbancy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I had a Bike-E which I had problems getting along with. The tiny front wheel was a bit lively on the downhills, it was a two-wheeler, so quite a learning curve to ride it reliably, and a very long wheelbase. I sold it for much more than I had in it this year. I still rather liked the idea of recumbent riding. I found this at our local bicycle co-op, which some generous soul had dropped off. It needs a bit of work, but I've given it a test ride, and it is marvy. It's a Sun Recumbent E-Z Tadpole SX. It has a 3x7 drivetrain, 20" wheels, under seat steering, and SRAM derailleurs. That thing on the front is where someone mounted a Mongoose stem and a short piece of handlebar, which I will probably replace with a longer piece of handlebar for the speedometer or cellphone, lights, and a small bag.
1574606730274.png

Welcome back! I find it difficult to get on with upright bikes these days, far prefer being laid back. The BikeE is perfect for sticking a toe in the waters of the laid back world, it does have its place (more so if you turn it into a dual 20” machine :-)), but there is a whole world of recumbentcy out there for the exploring!

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Very Nice :becool:, I'd be tempted to fit 'clipless' pedals and use cleated shoes though.
Probably will, although it is hard to find size 16 EEEE shoes in cycling shoes. Also, I might add that those current pedals are lighted. They have little red LEDS that are motion activated. However, clipless moments are less serious on tricycles, I hear.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Probably will, although it is hard to find size 16 EEEE shoes in cycling shoes. Also, I might add that those current pedals are lighted. They have little red LEDS that are motion activated. However, clipless moments are less serious on tricycles, I hear.
No, if your foot slips off the pedal and your heel strikes the ground whilst you're going at speed it can be dodgy.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
No, if your foot slips off the pedal and your heel strikes the ground whilst you're going at speed it can be dodgy.
Sounds bad. I have the whole shebang in house, I shall have to actually use all of it. Old Christmas gifts. If it wasn't for the lack of some quick-links, I'd be rolling by now.

clipless moments are probably less serious on upright trikes, but on a recumbent they can result in serious compound foot and ankle fractures even at quite low speeds if your foot is jarred off the pedal, contacts the road, and is dragged under the cruciform. I leave the rest to your imagination! Foot retention is a must, use heel slings at the very least!

plus the only thing your flashing pedals will alert on your recumbent is overflying aircraft... :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
clipless moments are probably less serious on upright trikes, but on a recumbent they can result in serious compound foot and ankle fractures even at quite low speeds if your foot is jarred off the pedal, contacts the road, and is dragged under the cruciform. I leave the rest to your imagination! Foot retention is a must, use heel slings at the very least!

plus the only thing your flashing pedals will alert on your recumbent is overflying aircraft... :smile:
At least with a trike you don't need to put your feet down unless you're getting off. :angel:

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

I did find them quite humorous, as well as the current lighting set-up. It does now have a long pole with a pennant on it, courtesy of the Finger Lakes State Park, in Minnesota.

Top Bottom