My Road Trip to London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlgorse

Hi All

About 5 years ago i bought a bike from the local tip and had some good parts on it and including Compag brakes for £10 :rolleyes:

It was July when the queen was having her Birthday and i got the train to Manchester and rode to London overnight and got into London the next day around 7pm and it was none stop riding and im sure the road was the A4 or A5 the reason i know both roads is because the year after i did the same trip but from Leeds and both rides where tough , It is something i would like to do and just wondered if anyone else have done that route ?

Im also thinking about doing the coast to coast from Whitehaven to Newcastle this year so if anyone wants to join me get in touch :rolleyes:

I have been trying to work the miles out for those trips to London im guessing around 250-300 miles ? maybe more well it seemed like it traveling overnight by myself .

Hope you didnt mind me sharing this with you all

Carl

Hi Carl, I don't think you rode the A5 all the way down all those years ago and certainly not the A4 (unless you were well off course) I would suggest you rode much of the A6 which leaves Manchester and meanders it's way down via Derbyshire (Buxton, Belper and Derby itself) then onto Loughborough in Leicestershire. From there it's into Northants and finally Bedford, Luton, Harpenden and into the top-end of London. Sound familiar? I would imagine the area around Buxton would be where your hills were as the road skirts the Peak District. All told, I would suggest a mileage of somewhere in the region of 190-200 miles depending on where you picked up the A6 from. That said, there is a way you could have diverted down from the A6 and picked up the A5 at Towcester.

Bill

OP
OP
carlgorse

carlgorse

Hi Carl, I don't think you rode the A5 all the way down all those years ago and certainly not the A4 (unless you were well off course) I would suggest you rode much of the A6 which leaves Manchester and meanders it's way down via Derbyshire (Buxton, Belper and Derby itself) then onto Loughborough in Leicestershire. From there it's into Northants and finally Bedford, Luton, Harpenden and into the top-end of London. Sound familiar? I would imagine the area around Buxton would be where your hills were as the road skirts the Peak District. All told, I would suggest a mileage of somewhere in the region of 190-200 miles depending on where you picked up the A6 from. That said, there is a way you could have diverted down from the A6 and picked up the A5 at Towcester.

Bill

I went from Manchester Airport to Newcastle Under Lyme and i do remember Hertfordshire getting lost around Watford Area once . I certantly went through Birmingham & Milton Keynes . It was a great ride doing both routes and would of loved doing it back but i got the coach back :rolleyes:

I know some of those hills i walked so seemed longer to do :rolleyes:

Certantly would do it again and would have to look on a road map to work out the route i did .

Carl

Top Bottom