My Summer Tour - Any Advice???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anthony

Hi guys. I did GoGLE last summer and really enjoyed it so this year we are planning to go from Saint Malo to Gibraltar. We've booked the ferry and plane back, and also planned a rough route, however i have never cycled on the continent before and would appreciate any advice. For example, what are the roads like? is wild camping easy? How tough is Spain? Is the heat/weather bad in september? Answers to these questions or any other advice would be great. Thanks.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Anthony said:
Hi guys. I did GoGLE last summer and really enjoyed it so this year we are planning to go from Saint Malo to Gibraltar. We've booked the ferry and plane back, and also planned a rough route, however i have never cycled on the continent before and would appreciate any advice. For example, what are the roads like? is wild camping easy? How tough is Spain? Is the heat/weather bad in september? Answers to these questions or any other advice would be great. Thanks.

I don't know about Spain but wild camping, 'camping sauvage', is not officially condoned in France. Having said that I spend a couple of nights wild camping during my Channel to Med ride last year. In one small village the locals encouraged me to camp on the village green rather than seek out a camp site. I felt a tad too exposed and found a quiet field a few km further on.

One thing to be on your guard against are the French shrinking camp site kilometre units. Camp sites in France were often several km further on than their sign posts indicated. Apparently this is a ploy to entrap motorists but literally a pain in the butt for cyclists who might be at the end of a long day's ride. Municipal camp sites are dirt cheap at between 3 and 10 euros. They are worth seeking out.

Riding in France is fine. Motorists treat you with respect. I can not comment on the weather in Sept in the region or Spain as I have no direct experience of them.

PBancroft

vernon said:
One thing to be on your guard against are the French shrinking camp site kilometre units. Camp sites in France were often several km further on than their sign posts indicated. Apparently this is a ploy to entrap motorists but literally a pain in the butt for cyclists who might be at the end of a long day's ride.

THANK YOU.

I've only ever driven to campsites in France, though I thought I had noticed that before but had written it off as my imagination!

jags

Guru
anthony i cycled in spain in2006 the roads are great smooth never seen a pot hole great,we were there in sep the weather was great not to hot we had rain on the last day very heavy but it was the tail end of a storm other than that fantastic.oh dont run out of water we did what a mistake,best of luck on the tour.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

jags said:
anthony i cycled in spain in2006 the roads are great smooth never seen a pot hole great,we were there in sep the weather was great not to hot we had rain on the last day very heavy but it was the tail end of a storm other than that fantastic.oh dont run out of water we did what a mistake,best of luck on the tour.

that good news about the roads and weather. now just got to worry about the hills ;)

jags

Guru
did i not mention hills there are plenty of them long very long but no big deal just enjoy the ride take it easy.

maurice

vernon said:
One thing to be on your guard against are the French shrinking camp site kilometre units. Camp sites in France were often several km further on than their sign posts indicated. Apparently this is a ploy to entrap motorists but literally a pain in the butt for cyclists who might be at the end of a long day's ride.

Yes I noticed this with some hotel signs too, I'm suprised they are allowed to get away with it, though I guess for the majority motorist it isn't such an annoyance.

jay clock

Massive member

AGREED! My favourite was "Snack Bar 100m" and it was actually 1700m

Tony

Worse than that are the signs "XXX 5 MINS"
5 minutes by what, exactly?
I assume you will be looking at a coastal route down through France, crossing the neck of Brittany and then straight down the Atlantic. Remember the ferry at the mouth of the Garonne, which avoids the big city of Bordeaux, and try not to get too bored in les Landes' pine forests.
Most French towns have a camping municipal, which would be your best, cheapest and safest option.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We've cycled in Spain. I remember it being almost unbearably hot (September) but absolutely stunning. Flipping hard work in the mountains.

Great wine though, which made up for all the agony. You'll have a great time.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I've cycled in Spain in September and it rained every day for two weeks non stop. What made it worse was we had only gone to escape a similar wet summer to the one we're having now and secondly, we only took bivi bags to camp in as they were all the rage as Goretex had just been invented and everyone was making their own kit to try the new wonder material out.

Top Bottom