My two Raleigh Twenty Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianpallen

Über Member
These are my two raleigh twenties.

The blue one is nearly finished. Just waiting for new brake blocks and I think I am goung to buy new brake cables and adjusters as I dont like hte original ones on the handle bars. Still looking for some BMX wheels to put on it.

The wheels cleaned up nice and I degreased te chain, ckeaned it and oiled it then refitted it.

The purple one, I bought a bag for it. It isnt fitted on hte rack yet, as I have to drill holes in the bottom and my wife said it is too nice to drill into. I bought it originally for the blue bike so it can be strapped down to the plastic tray. The problem is, the blue bag does not have anchor points on both sides, only one side and it is about 1.5 inches too long.

The blue bike has a new tyre and inner tube fitted.

Attachments

• DSC_0050 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0050 - Copy.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0048 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0048 - Copy.JPG
    409 KB · Views: 15

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Two nice Twenty's you have glad you enjoy them

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
My Raleigh Twenty with BMX wheels on it. I didnt have to change hte brakes as htey fitted with new brake blocks as low as they can go.
I had to grind down the dropouts in front and rear forks as hte axles were a little thicker than the 20's.
I just need a decent pair of handle bar grips in black, decent brake levers and a pair of brake cables.
I think it needs thinner / narrower tyres on it The ones on are 20 x 2.0. I think any fatter, hte mudguards would have to come off.
Last pic is of the wheels I removed. The rear one has a new inner tube and tyre. The old one has a couple of cracks in the side wall where it was stood with a flat tyre, but only on one side of the tyre. Still a good spare tyre really. Pity they wont fit the BMX wheels. lol.
Today, I removed hte twist gear change with cable, both wheels and fitted hte rear brake and 4 new brake blocks. And I also bolted hte plastic tray on the rear rack. I removed hte dynamo lights when I stripped it to respray it. They are still in good and working condition.
I had to put two links in the chain so hte rear wheel would slot down to be tightened up.
I put a gel saddle on it as the original brooks saddle on it broke in the plastic base. The cover had already come apart at hte seam across the saddle. The springs etc are all still good.
The BMX which my son bought me cost him £5. The freewheel hub pawls were stuck in and it freewheeled forwards as well as backwards. I fitted another one on it from another bike wheel I had in the garden. Had to soak it in WD40 for a few hours to free it up. Worked a treat.

Attachments

• DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0056.JPG
    DSC_0056.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    314.8 KB · Views: 15
My Raleigh Twenty with BMX wheels on it. I didnt have to change hte brakes as htey fitted with new brake blocks as low as they can go.
I had to grind down the dropouts in front and rear forks as hte axles were a little thicker than the 20's.
I just need a decent pair of handle bar grips in black, decent brake levers and a pair of brake cables.
I think it needs thinner / narrower tyres on it The ones on are 20 x 2.0. I think any fatter, hte mudguards would have to come off.
Last pic is of the wheels I removed. The rear one has a new inner tube and tyre. The old one has a couple of cracks in the side wall where it was stood with a flat tyre, but only on one side of the tyre. Still a good spare tyre really. Pity they wont fit the BMX wheels. lol.
Today, I removed hte twist gear change with cable, both wheels and fitted hte rear brake and 4 new brake blocks. And I also bolted hte plastic tray on the rear rack. I removed hte dynamo lights when I stripped it to respray it. They are still in good and working condition.
I had to put two links in the chain so hte rear wheel would slot down to be tightened up.
I put a gel saddle on it as the original brooks saddle on it broke in the plastic base. The cover had already come apart at hte seam across the saddle. The springs etc are all still good.
The BMX which my son bought me cost him £5. The freewheel hub pawls were stuck in and it freewheeled forwards as well as backwards. I fitted another one on it from another bike wheel I had in the garden. Had to soak it in WD40 for a few hours to free it up. Worked a treat.

I'm amazed that the brakes fitted. Can only assume some bikes had different break arm reach to others. Tyres can be a squeeze as you mention, 20 x 2.0 would be the max I think, but brands vary somewhat in their stated sizes. All looks great so far :okay:

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
I'm amazed that the brakes fitted. Can only assume some bikes had different break arm reach to others. Tyres can be a squeeze as you mention, 20 x 2.0 would be the max I think, but brands vary somewhat in their stated sizes. All looks great so far :okay:

Thanks. I am liking it more with black accessories and trim. I think a pair of schwalb tyres with the white line would look great on it. I think they are called schwalb.

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
You may get lucky with a 1.95, but it is a risk. A sure fire bet is 1.75, I have these on my R20, and they are a comfortable fit with enough clearance. Priced at a tenner each in Decathlon.
View attachment 692993

You may get lucky with a 1.95, but it is a risk. A sure fire bet is 1.75, I have these on my R20, and they are a comfortable fit with enough clearance. Priced at a tenner each in Decathlon.
View attachment 692993
I have been looking at the 1.75 and the 1.5 tyres.

Top Bottom