My weekend fun....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danielstucke

Über Member
On loan for a few days :smile:

image.jpg

Brommyboy

Über Member
Enjoy it! At first you may find it best to hold the bars with finger tips until used to the very light steering.

OP
OP
danielstucke

danielstucke

Über Member
Enjoyed my ride out today on the Brompton.

I'm a bit torn now as to what to get if I do get a Brommy.

I'll be getting one for a train commute on days where I don't feel like the 30 miles round trip. I will have 4 miles in total either end of a train instead, including one hill.

I think I want an S-type but will have to test one out. The M was just a bit too upright for my liking and I'm happy to shave off some grams getting the straight bar.

I did the hill that will be on my commute in 3rd on the 6 speed that I've borrowed. That's the same gear inches as the 2 speed -7% would be in 1st.

The sensible option is probably to go for a 6 speed just for the flexibility it offers. But part of me is tempted to go for a 2 speed -7% as I know those two gears would cover my commute and it saves 700g and £60 for that matter. But this is a bike for life, am I better of with the flexibility of 6 gears? I'm going to be doing 150 miles commuting a week in good non-train weather so fitness is up to pushing just 2 gears around.

And the saddle is poop, did not fit my arse. Might just buy something after market.

Cracking little bike though, easy to fold and really quite sprightly off the mark.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Take it from me pay the extra and have the extra gears incase you need them ATB on your new purchase
Yes, if it's a "bike for life" don't stint on gears for the sake of £60.

Also, did you know you can slightly adjust the rake on the M-type handlebars? Only as far as the cables will allow, but mine is adjusted to bring them a bit closer. Might be an option if the S-type doesn't suit.

I'm sure you'll love it whatever you get.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
2 speed I think is pushing it for flexibility. I have a 3 speed and ended up changing the front chainring from a 54 to a 50T when I moved and my commute took in more hills.

Do try the S bars - I personally found then much better than the Ms for getting a good riding position and it does get you less upright.

StuartG

slower but further
If touring is in your plans (and even the 3 speed Brompton with smaller chainring will tour magnificently) then be aware the S bars are not compatible with the big 35l front bag - the ideal waterproof touring companion. My M bars and bag took me to the Med this year!

I have a Brooks saddle, easy-wheels which makes it almost perfect for me but if I had my time again I would have gone for 6 gears.

Last edited:

Brommyboy

Über Member
The S bars are lower and further forward than the others, which suits a more streamlined stance. The 2-speed is fine just for a commute, but for general use the extra gears are often necessary. As the problem is going up hills, not down, those lower gears can come in handy in hilly terrain.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wouldnt worry about 700g either.

Steve

OP
OP
danielstucke

danielstucke

Über Member
I'm thinking S-bars and 6 gears at the moment. Bag size not important to me, the bag that fits the S bars is plenty big enough and I have a large Ortleib rucksack if its too small on occasion.

Going to test an S-type in a few weeks when they get a loan bike in in that setup.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
You cant go wrong with the s-type, I loved it when I had mine. I just hated the Brompton gearing trigger system, enough to make me sell the bike and keep/use my Jetstream all the time instead. I guess you get used to it but the trigger felt cheap. I am much happier with the Sram Dual Drive on my Jetstream.

Good luck making your choice

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Bear in mind you're not limited to the gearing options Brompton offers. There's an SA-8 which is almost directly compatible (just needs the forks widening a touch) and also an 11-speed. I'm not a fan of the clunky twin-lever system of the 6-speed so opted for the 8-speed twist-grip, which offers a slightly wider range, smaller steps and a far slicker shift.

Bar-wise, try them all and see what suits, but as others have said, the S-bar does significantly limit your luggage options.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My 2p worth :-
If it's a keeper then go for the 6 speed - there will come a time when you need the extra gears.
It's well worth fitting bar ends IMHO, whatever bar you go for.
I quite like the Brompton saddle, just not on a Brompton! It works fine on my fixed road bike, but I hated it on my M6R.

Top Bottom