mysteries of the human body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

What strange beings we are.........

Last night i hit some of the trails on the north york moors, the weather was abysmal. It lashed down all night and the wind was ferocious. I fell off the bike 3 times on some very tricky descents and as my brakes were not biting due to the mud and water i couldnt stop at a wooden gate and ploughed into it.
The first injury was a rather nasty flip over the handlebars in which i managed to get my bike to land heavily on my shin bone. I thought i had broken it (the bone not the bike) and it took me some time to get going again.

Next injury...my pedal hit a low rock, my foot slipped off and it whizzed round and caught the back of my calf. I have some nice platform pedals with spikes for extra grip, it also appears they can do quite a bit of damage to your skin and i bled like somebody had amputated my leg.

So when i woke up this morning i could hardly get out of bed. Im 37 and not as springy and bouncy as i used to be, but this was different...i felt like someone had sledge hammered my legs. I eventually managed to haul myself out of bed and onto my bike for the commute into work.

Now by all rights i should have had the slowest ride to work ever. but against all sane reasoning i posted a personal best of 36 mins over 12 mile.

Now how on earth did i do that???

Huh? Huh?

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Not unless my wife sprinkled them on my cornflakes when i wasnt looking

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
There is something about the way that your body reacts to pain that gives it more energy. There is a cheat amongst wheelchair athletes where they deliberately stab their legs just before major competitions. They can't feel anything, but the body reacts and produces hormones that improve their performance significantly. However this is banned as you can't have a sport where competitors are encouraged to maim themselves in order to win.
IIRC.

yenrod

got-to-get-fit said:
What strange beings we are.........

Last night i hit some of the trails on the north york moors, the weather was abysmal. It lashed down all night and the wind was ferocious. I fell off the bike 3 times on some very tricky descents and as my brakes were not biting due to the mud and water i couldnt stop at a wooden gate and ploughed into it.
The first injury was a rather nasty flip over the handlebars in which i managed to get my bike to land heavily on my shin bone. I thought i had broken it (the bone not the bike) and it took me some time to get going again.

Next injury...my pedal hit a low rock, my foot slipped off and it whizzed round and caught the back of my calf. I have some nice platform pedals with spikes for extra grip, it also appears they can do quite a bit of damage to your skin and i bled like somebody had amputated my leg.

So when i woke up this morning i could hardly get out of bed. Im 37 and not as springy and bouncy as i used to be, but this was different...i felt like someone had sledge hammered my legs. I eventually managed to haul myself out of bed and onto my bike for the commute into work.

Now by all rights i should have had the slowest ride to work ever. but against all sane reasoning i posted a personal best of 36 mins over 12 mile.

Now how on earth did i do that???

Huh? Huh?

You got all shook up...... (elvis) uhhuhu - :biggrin:

BrumJim said:
There is a cheat amongst wheelchair athletes where they deliberately stab their legs just before major competitions. They can't feel anything, but the body reacts and produces hormones that improve their performance significantly.

:biggrin: now that's something I didn't know. the cheating, non-diving barstewards!

Top Bottom