Mystery puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pump inner tube, dunk section in a pail of water until you complete the circle and see if there are bubbles. Faster way to check for leak.

Update...

The customer interested in the bike returned just as I started the third replacement; B*gg*r, now I was under pressure; unlike the tyre*.

New tube in tyre, after checking both tyre and rim for anything sharp and finding nothing; pump up; nothing. Put tyre on bike and start on front tyre.

Three minutes later rear inner tube explodes: there's a loud "pop" and dust comes out of the rim.

Tyre off, held carefully in the same position, checked, also in same position. 1 cm long split in inner tube, on the inside. check wheel. I can see exactly where it was because there's a mini explosion of dust. Nothing sharp or untoward.

Find new tyres from store, and new inner tubes, and dig up some fresh rim tape. Fit everything onto bike.

That was midday. As of 16:00 the tyre was still solid. we'll see what happens tomorrow. If it stays up I'll go with @Dogtrousers theory: the other tyres were haunted.

Oh, and the customer decided the bike was too big...

*Sorry...

silva

Über Member
Had such a problem once, the inner tyres were very slightly damaged but enough to leak to low pressure overnight.
As mentioned here, and which I suspected then because if it doesn't go away, it means the object doesn't wear so likely metal., it was a metal shard, invisible under the rubber, but since likely iron, I located it by attaching a thin wire to a small magne then slowly going over the suspected tyre surface and bingo. Had to cut it out, a triangular flake.

After changing everything the tyres held over the weekend and today I put the old tyres back on with fresh inner tubes. I did find a couple of metal shavings on the rim tape so maybe they were the problem before.
The tyres were pumped up to 4 bar so we'll see if they hold tomorrow.

Top Bottom