Mystery twang

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It doesn't seem to cause follow on problems, both my chain and my rear sprocket seem to be in fine fettle although they are probably both a tad more heavy duty than yours. Other then checking it when you clean and oil it I shouldn't be too worried. famous last words I know. :smile: When you swap your front ring it may well stop as a new one will hold it a lot straighter.

The front crank is kinda buckled :smile:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Right, I've been out for a quick thrash and gave it some beans (in my own little way) and greasing the seatpost didn't make a snot of difference.

I can confirm that the noise is more of a clatter than a twang really, and it definitely happens when I hit a bump in the road and not when I put the drivetrain under stress.

Are the welds okay around the rear wheel drop outs? If you put a spanner onto the drop out and see if there is any movement. I had a broken weld on one a few years back. Clunk,twang it went, it was on the opposite side to the sprocket.

Also I might sound a bit picky, but can we please refer to sprockets as sprockets and not COGS please. It is a word that just grinds away at me.
Cogs are ancient boats or wooden staves knocked into a cartwheel to drive windmills.
Please for the sake of my blood pressure.:crazy:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Cogs are ancient boats or wooden staves knocked into a cartwheel to drive windmills.
My English is improving leaps on reading about bikes (goes to google "staves") :smile:

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Take a look at your rear mech (derailleur), the chain appears to be going straight from the bottom cog to the drive sprocket.

It should run around another wheel, either the chain isn't on properly, or you've broken it & will need a replacement.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Take a look at your rear mech (derailleur), the chain appears to be going straight from the bottom cog to the drive sprocket.

It should run around another wheel, either the chain isn't on properly, or you've broken it & will need a replacement.

I think we set it up that way so more of the chain wrapped around the rear sprocket, we did try a more traditional chain tensioner but it slipped too much.

durrreeeliaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Top Bottom