[N+1 + indie shop] It was a sunny day in Nottingham ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Learnincurve

When I was just walking along with the kids on our way to be tourists when I happened upon a independent bike shop, http://www.bunneysbikes.com/ (pride themselves stocking British bikes alongside the stuff like Kona) I pop in ask if they sell and install full SRAM 9 stuff because this is relevant to my interests, they do, I spot something blue and pretty out of the corner of my eye, it mildly registers but we are on out way out and as I'm waiting on Halfords to call me back about collecting a girls dutch style bike I ignore it and we leave.

Fast forward several hours and I get a call from halfords saying head office have lost a shipment of the bike I ordered and it will be Tuesday earliest. I take this as a sign that the bike will be cursed and cancel the reservation.

On the way back to the station I decide to go back into bunneys and see what the blue thing was and would you know, it's a Ridgeback ( Avenida 6) - I ducking love ridgeback and think everyone should own one and here is one right in front of me and it's exactly what I was after, 17" so my size, in budget (£329) and I just have to wheel it out of the shop and onto a bike friendly train.

Now, I actually got the 2015 version, it's identical but for they removed the kick stand, and the colour which is a pale blue, the same pale blue as the create thread button as it happens.

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/avenida-6#details

xxl.jpg

The gears are 6 speed and utilitarian, (38 on the front and then 14-28 on the back) this is my winter flat path and shopping bike so lots of gears are not really needed and just more things to clean. But what makes it special are two things, firstly the weight, it's 28.2lb/12.79kg with the fenders and rear rack and that's nothing for a hybrid. The other reason is, you see that seat post, that's a shock absorbing seat post that is. Not needed on the road but very much appreciated on gravel.

To top it all off the lovely man who's name I did not get who sold it to me had a pretty basil double pannier that was ex-display and he let me have it for £20 instead of £40. I was vaguely worried that I would go on the internet and find the bike £100 cheaper in a chain store but nope so even more yay!

So yup, this is me being pleased with a new bike and also very much recommending bunneys bikes to newbies, not all of the stock is on the website, but small as they are they have a full range of different kinds of bikes in different sizes and prices. I couldn't order what I wanted from the largest chain bike store in the country and then pick it up 3 days later but I could walk into this tiny place and walk out with the perfect bike, fully checked and adjusted by an older fella who had been selling bikes for 50 years.

If anyone is near Nottingham it's on the road leading from the station into town, googling nottingham bike shops will give you the exact location, from now on I actually intend to get on a train for 40mins every single time I need anything bike related I was that impressed.

OP
OP
Learnincurve

Learnincurve

actually it's the same blue as my avatar.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Now that my down-market but very helpful LBS guy (Ray Hunt) has retired and closed Rex Robinson Cycles, and Freewheel on Hockley has apparently gone under, Bunney's is the best bet in Nottingham - very friendly, carry decent stock, and will order in unusual components, e.g. a spare Altura klik-fit bracket so I can swap my bag between bikes.

D

Deleted member 23692

I remember using Bunnys in the late 60's/early 70's when I was kid. They were superb then and it's good to hear that they are still the same.

Nice looking bike too :thumbsup:

Top Bottom