N - 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I'm thinking of selling my alu framed Bianchi race bike.

I did a 100km on it yesterday and didn't really enjoy the ride (as in the bike itself, not the circuit or the countryside). I know this is going to sound odd, and is probably due to me riding steel more often, but it felt too light. It's almost as if I don't want to ride like it wants to be ridden. Plus, I had lower back pain discomfort for the last 20 odd km. I reckon I could sort that out (or maybe I'm just getting old!) but it crossed my mind too that this was no longer a bike for me or the way I now ride.

So, have you reached the end of the road with a bike? I'm not talking replacement or 'upgrade'... I mean N - 1.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I've done N-2 recently. My Bob Jackson was terminal in the bottom bracket threads department and then I managed to hit a wall whilst on my Holdsworth. That pushed the forks back into the down tube. Not worth repairing IMHO. The Jackson was well loved and cared for since 1977. The Holdsworth saw more dirty weather but I loved it too (new in 1982).

RIP my 531 frames.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Not quite that, I N-1'd my Surly but only to replace with a similar steel frame setup but with disc as opposed to rim brakes. Am in the process of minusing the Giant, so carbon/alu mix, to replace with a Ti frame, again moving to disc brakes in process. My other bike is a steel frame as well, I've only ever test ridden a full aluminium frame. It felt fine, if a little twitchy, but was a full road bike as opposed to my more usual road/tour/hybrid mix. But a short, round the block, test ride isn't enough to decide on a frame material. I would say that with panniers my steel bikes were comfier than the Giant but without I found them all comfy.

frank9755

Cyclist
It's a big decision and I can understand some of what you must be going through. But your needs do change and so the fleet has to be reshaped in response.

My Super Galaxy has been sitting in the garage for a few months, making me feel guilty when I go out with some bright young carbon or aluminium thing under its nose. But I've only ridden it once since July and have no tours planned for this summer, so I might end up having to put it out to grass.

I haven't played with my Look in over a year! Carbon has given way to Titanium, my Veneto aluminium has given way to a steel Solo. gears have given way to s/speed and the whole world is going mad! :smile:
Funnily enough, I rode my alu to Dunwich last year,(with a select group of CC-ers) after prolonged ballades with the Ti, and I really had to 'ride' the bike - it felt so different. Still comfortable though. :smile: (Of course, it had M+, raceblades and Campag with Delta, as opposed to 23s, Ultegra and Keo...but for the life of me, I can't understand why they felt so different! :headshake:) :biggrin:

Post pics of your new bike Andrew...should be sometime in the next few months...:whistle:

Top Bottom