Narrow 26" or fat 700c for Boardman????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyFletch

Regular
After much deliberation I'd just about settled on a Boardman Hybrid Team, the spec. is pretty much what I'm after with the addition of some 700 x 35c tyres since a section of my commute involves canal path followed by some cobblestones and I couldn't live with the standard tyres.

However, much to my horror Halfords dropped the £70 discount offer on Monday leaving me £750 for the bike + £50 for the wider tyres I was looking at fitting. Then, I stumble across the Boardman MTB Urban Team which is now on sale at £600. Specs. look great, fat carbon fork, SRAM X7 derailleurs, 23.8lb weight and it comes with 26 x 1.6" tyres.

My commute is about 6 miles and aside from the canal path and cobbles is mostly pavement and road. Question is am I going to notice the difference in speed on the flat bits by going with the 26" layout over wide 700's?

Truth is a fancy the Hybrid Team but it's going to cost me £200 more than the Urban Team.....

defy-one

26" wheels means you peddle like a hamster and get nowhere fast compared to a 700c bike. that's just the laws of physics.

Top Bottom