Nathan Barley is alive and well

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
"Tribe of uber-International Fashionistas" - I thought that was the name of the band at first. ;)

naar they're a dying breed...the hipster publication 'The Shoreditch Twat' is now up for sale along with the domain name. The fact that you get 40 somethings doing this means it's old hat. The real hipsters are on to the next thing and have all become fake bike messengers. ;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Uncle Mort said:
Erm...who is Nathan Barley?

He's from Charlie Brooker's spoof listings mag TV Go Home (lots of other good stuff there too, although also some bad language - note if you're offended by same).

Barley became the titular character in a Channel 4 sitcom too. Sadly other listings, such as Nicky Campbell's "Swimming with Cats" never made it beyond the printed page.

jonathan ellis

User1314 said:
Can't remember. I don't really know the area. Small old man's pub in Beak St, I think.

One of those places that still sold "home-made" small ham white rolls covered in clingfilm.

It was the only place I could find where at least some people were happy to have a pint, instead of being in a permanent state of auditioning for a C4 Reality Show.

Ah that's "the old coffee house"
used to be my local in the early 90's

jonathan ellis

I'd recommend you pop into "Aint Nothing But" in Kingly street whilst you are there...

(my local has changed to the cheapest pub in soho)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
User1314 said:
"Digress combines the cool lounge style in the ground floor with a more decadent Moroccan style in the basement, all set to a soundtrack of funky disco, commercial dance and pop classics."
Sounds splendid. Do they do Mild? And in dimpled glasses? Will it be light enough for you to read the racing form and play dominoes?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
User1314 said:
"Digress combines the cool lounge style in the ground floor with a more decadent Moroccan style in the basement, all set to a soundtrack of funky disco, commercial dance and pop classics."

WTF is a "decadent Moroccan style"? Are they providing spliffs and under-age boys? :laugh:

Top Bottom