NCN7 Glasgow to Carlisle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Having covered the Glasgow to Inverness part via long weekends over the last two years, and having developed a taste for the Scotrail Caledonian Sleeper services we're off to do part III in June.

Plan to fall out of a train at Glasgow Central, meet with the Scotland based member of the team and spin off down NCN7 to stay at b&b's around Maybole, Gatehouse of Fleet, Annan, then an easy morning spin to Carlisle for an evening train to the Great Wen and beyond.

Hints'n'tips.
Must see's?
Must avoid's?
Watch out for's?

wintonbina

Über Member
All I can say is if you fall out of a train at Glasgow they will think you are a local:thumbsup:. the route seems ok to me!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's a nice route, I did the reverse a couple years ago.

From my experience
I liked the Citadel in Ayr
riding along the promenade in Troon
Galloway Forest (unfortunately you'll be riding up the Nick o the Balloch going south so I can't include the decent of that hill)
The Bruce stone (a little off the on-road route, but worth a ride up Glentrool Valley
Kircudbright is worth a visit, so is Central Dumfries

Things to watch out for -

Between Ayr and Maybole there's a very sensible straght B road I'd take instead of the silly Sustrans route round back roads over a grt big hill.

There's a bit of gravel with a statue of two dogs (twa dugs?) around Irvine - be very careful as that is deeper than it looks.

On the cycle path between Abbeytown and Gatehouse of Fleet there's an off road cycle path. Where it says dismount then really do, the hill straight after is about 1:3 down and a twisty narrow path.

Be careful around the new Carlisle bypass, I'm not sure how well they've routed the cycle stuff now that's been built.

Crusty is much better at write ups than me so his link is here

I have a set of pictures on Picasa here if you want a look at the route

Top Bottom