Near miss...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not your usual thread of this type but...

Walking down Eversholt Street towards Euston Station, near the buspark in front of the station there is a box junction/crossroads thing and I wanted to cross from one side of Eversholt Street to the other (from the travelodge side to the station side).

At the traffic lights I was approaching, the traffic "stop line" is quite far back because there's a lot of space needed for busses swinging out the station...just checked google maps and there isnt a seperate "stop line" for cyclists to stop at, ahead of the traffic.

The traffic lights were on red but I could see the green man go off as I was approaching, I had just passed the traffic "stop line" but was still a good 10feet short of the proper crossing point...but if I'd walked right to where the crossing was the traffic would have got a green light and I would have to wait.

So I just stepped off the pavement onto the road to cross, I knew the cars werent moving...next thing I know I hear "BL00DY HELL!" screamed by some woman on a Boris Bike! I really dont know how she did it, but she managed to avoid me stepping off literally in front of her! I did call out "sorry", tho she never made any reply...

Anyway, just thought I'd post one that isnt a "burn the ignorant/stupid car driver", like most are.


Things to remember...
  • No matter the number of wheels on your vehicle...never run a red light
  • Use crossings correctly! Saving myself less than 5mins by crossing when I did, could have cost me far more!
  • Unless there is a seperate stopping point for bikes, stop with the cars at their line
  • Dont expect pedestrians to do what they're supposed to
  • Don't expect drivers/riders to do what they're supposed to
 

Similar threads

Top Bottom