Nearly got scammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Selling the campag parts elsewhere and a potential buyer says he will take the lot
Get an email from "paypal" saying the money is waiting but they need more as its over the limit for personal transactions and it needs more to open a "business " account,seller say they will send the extra and i will send it back .They trust me etc etc .
mmmmmm......
phone paypal who confirm its a scam as no money is pending etc .

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Got a text apparently from Santander saying new device has logged in and to flag it via a web site if it wasn't me - Web Site apparently Santander with logo etc. I needed to get my password from a secret location in the house so a bit of time elapsed. Then the penny dropped - strange web address

Big John

Guru
I've tried selling a cheap commuter bike on FB Marketplace. Got a couple of weird offers.....they'll buy the bike, unseen, and send a courier round to pick the bike up. I said no....just sounded too weird to me. Both 'interested' parties then became 'uninterested'. If something doesn't sound right, I'm out. In the old days you'd put and ad in the paper, folks would come round to view whatever you were selling, they'd pay in cash, you'd give hem a receipt and it was simple.

postman

Legendary Member
Yes Mrs P called out a scammer from America, a guitar amp courier coming money blah blah blah,she told him she was an ex officer or the lore and he went away.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Got a message from. Amazon day before yesterday saying someone was trying to change the password on my account near Ankara Turkey.
Good to know they are vigilant.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've tried selling a cheap commuter bike on FB Marketplace. Got a couple of weird offers.....they'll buy the bike, unseen, and send a courier round to pick the bike up. I said no....just sounded too weird to me. Both 'interested' parties then became 'uninterested'. If something doesn't sound right, I'm out. In the old days you'd put and ad in the paper, folks would come round to view whatever you were selling, they'd pay in cash, you'd give hem a receipt and it was simple.

Oldest scam in the book

markemark

Über Member
Mrs Domus had one a while ago, the website looked legit, then she noticed one letter in the name was in a different font. Very tricky to spot.

You don’t need to spot subtle changes in websites. Just don’t go through any links in emails. Go through your normal process for accessing internet banking.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom