nearly....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Indeed. Look at the video below. Seems like an innocent mistake from the motorcyclist, but extremely scary. Kudos to the cyclist for being magnanimous and accepting the apology.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Ben.

col

Legendary Member
Thats how most will happen, Iv no doubt most are genuine accidents. Very few if any people want to crash into or cause a crash on purpose.

yello

So, even if you've appealed intellectually to people to look out for motorcycles and bikes, people's brains are still liable to be running the 'ignore apparently static small objects on the road' process.

I accept that. I meant to cover that with my first point.

My 2nd point ("the other issue") is as addressed by LyB. That is, people (not brains) are looking for what they want to see; a space in which to move. That is the SMIDSY that can be educated.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
This is where recumbents have a huge win, and far fewer right hooks than on an upright. They look a little like an approaching predator, and that gets the monkey behind the wheel right in the hind-brain. It's exactly the same effect that makes horses such a pain to pass.

yello

Seems like an innocent mistake from the motorcyclist, but extremely scary. Kudos to the cyclist for being magnanimous and accepting the apology.

Indeed. Not sure what an honest mistake is, as opposed to a mistake, but that's a moot point. The important thing is - total respect to motorcyclist. We all get it wrong sometimes, the important thing is to acknowledge and learn from it. That guy's remorse was plain to see. He knew he'd cocked up and had a heart pounding, brown trouser moment himself. He didn't attempt to hide or defend it; "scream, shout, call me a c*nt if you want". Were we all willing to admit our mistakes like him. Respect.

Top Bottom