Need a bike for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I've ridden many thousands of miles over decades on bikes equipped with 5 or 6 speed freewheels, and I do not consider them fragile or inferior to freehubs. There is some issue with rear axle loadings when freewheels are used, but in all that time I have never broken an axle, even though I am no lightweight rider.

Conversely in the bike workshop I help out at we see a broken axles with freewheels several times a week, every week, and keep a stock of 2nd hand ones for those who just need a bike to work and can't afford upgrades.
I've not managed to break one myself though.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Conversely in the bike workshop I help out at we see a broken axles with freewheels several times a week, every week, and keep a stock of 2nd hand ones for those who just need a bike to work and can't afford upgrades.
I've not managed to break one myself though.

I've pulled scrap bikes (usually low end MTB's) and discarded wheels out of skips several times and found them to have broken axles. I also salvage good axles out of terminally buckled wheels for replacement spares. I'm well aware it's a common occurrence, but I put it mainly down to bike abuse/unsympathetic riding style.
If you aren't light and sit on a bike like a sack of spuds over kerbs and bumps, you may well break freewheel axles. I put my weight on the pedals and not the saddle so my bikes don't take the same amount of punishment that some riders dish out. It also helps that I'm acquainted with the issue especially on 6/7 speed wheels with wider spacings and a longer axle. 5 speeds don't seem to suffer breakages much at all.

I've ridden many thousands of miles over decades on bikes equipped with 5 or 6 speed freewheels, and I do not consider them fragile or inferior to freehubs. There is some issue with rear axle loadings when freewheels are used, but in all that time I have never broken an axle, even though I am no lightweight rider.
I too have used freewheels without a problem for normal commuting and shopping. But freehubs are stronger and better and 8 speed is the version that is still widely available and doesnt use stupid narrow chains.

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

Ok. I have some updates. There’s a Boardman Hybrid 8.6 2021 on eBay that’s used, but in great condition and the seller is willing to gave it up for £250.00 (the original price is £550) and he lives near by too.

The other option is Vitoria bike which I found difficult to buy nowadays. I like how light they’re and apparently they’re good brand. I’ve emailed the company and they came back to me with the following. They offered me one with flat handlebar for €739 (please check photos attached)

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 022E29B5-F343-49BA-8089-5CE0E7EEF006.png
    022E29B5-F343-49BA-8089-5CE0E7EEF006.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 536DE0A0-2D25-46F1-9F96-CC0F4546366B.png
    536DE0A0-2D25-46F1-9F96-CC0F4546366B.png
    159.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 90B7ADAF-E6A8-4384-9F61-1C0486D50F69.png
    90B7ADAF-E6A8-4384-9F61-1C0486D50F69.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom