Need a folding bike mechanical expert in Herts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Got a 2011 Dahon Jetstream (got it last year from Holland). Short version is that I guess due to being stored for so long or maybe a fault, it won’t fold and unfold properly. Also some of the metal around the bracket/near the hinge has chipped off. The bike does fold but it’s really hard, also squeaks a bit as well, a real faff.

I have asked for advice from local bike shop, also online shops etc and I cant get a real answer on how to resolve. I have tried squirting penetrating fluid, also concentrated ammonia etc ec but although at first the hinge seems a bit more free, it reverts to type eventually.

I need someone who is a whizz at this kind of thing to please take a look, take apart if necessary and see if this can be resolved.

If anyone know an expert in the Home Counties please let me know

Many thanks

Have you tried ringing/emailing Dahon about the problems with the hinge?

Mr Foldy

Nice bike. Dahon are apparently quite supportive of frame and hinge problems. It should be an easy fold. I'm sure you wouldn't force it, but I'll risk being patronising. A forced fold can damage the soft frame. No way back from that.

OP
OP
seadragonpisces

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Thanks, I appreciate the consideration :-). I know how it should fold but I know when i took it to a bike shop they forced it.. I would rather someone took the whole thing apart to diagnose, would make me feel a lot better to know there was something obvious wrong. I did have the P8 Jetstream and I was so excited to get the EX but the damage and hinge problem has really taken the shine off.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Bike now sorted, hinge mechanism just needed a solid treatment of grease in the ports. Pity the last bike shop didnt do it properly when I asked them to. Big relief that after spending all the time and money to locate I didnt get a dud after all.
I had that with my TT. Really, really stiff to fold, but my LBS looked it over and it's been fine ever since. Doesn't get ridden much, so I try and remember to fold and unfold it now and then.

OP
OP
seadragonpisces

seadragonpisces

Über Member
I had that with my TT. Really, really stiff to fold, but my LBS looked it over and it's been fine ever since. Doesn't get ridden much, so I try and remember to fold and unfold it now and then.

I was so worried, I used to get bruises trying to fold and unfold it, it was so stiff. Although I wont be riding it that much once my Focus cyclocross bike arrives in the next day or 2, I will be sure to keep properly maintained. I was thinking of selling it but its such a cool bike, I think I will hang onto it for a while longer.

Top Bottom