Need a new camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pooh! Our Canon EOS 350D seems to have given up the ghost. It still takes pics, but I suspect that one of the kids has banged or dropped it as it no longer focuses (no matter what lens I use). I fear the optics are knackered.

So We need a new camera.

We don't need an SLR anymore, that was for our Safari days (long since passed!), but having a reasoanble range lens would be good (28-300mm say). So what compacts would you recommend I have a look at? I know the panasonic Lumix range has been well thought of in the past. What others should I have a look at.

Price? As cheap as possible! OK, probably no more than about £150 ish! :smile:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Pooh! Our Canon EOS 350D seems to have given up the ghost. It still takes pics, but I suspect that one of the kids has banged or dropped it as it no longer focuses (no matter what lens I use). I fear the optics are knackered.

So We need a new camera.

We don't need an SLR anymore, that was for our Safari days (long since passed!), but having a reasoanble range lens would be good (28-300mm say). So what compacts would you recommend I have a look at? I know the panasonic Lumix range has been well thought of in the past. What others should I have a look at.

Price? As cheap as possible! OK, probably no more than about £150 ish! :smile:

Might be worth getting the camera checked over and an estimate for repair? You'll struggle to get any compact that'll cover 28-300mm - I think that's still SLR-lens territory.

As for a cheapish compact? I'll leave that to the experts who may have bought one recently. I bought a lovely little Casio about 4 years ago which was £250 then and top of the range at 12Mp; same sort of spec will probably be around £150 now.

What SLR lenses have you got for your Canon? I'm looking for more to add to mine.... ;)

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Whenever anyone asks this, I always recommend the L110 (also available in Black) that I bought my Wife, and always get ignored
biggrin.gif

But, I'm nothing if not persistent so I'll post it again
laugh.gif

Anyway, it has fabulous image quality, the optical zoom range actually exceeds that of my incredibly expensive SLR with 500mm lens attached
wacko.gif

Plus, it takes very good portraits and macro shots too. It's lightweight and, (the big plus for me) runs off AA batteries so spares aren't a problem.
Oh, and it shoots HD video as well so perfect for family days out etc.

Let me know if you're interested in any test shots and I'll put some up.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Whenever anyone asks this, I always recommend the L110 (also available in Black) that I bought my Wife, and always get ignored
biggrin.gif

But, I'm nothing if not persistent so I'll post it again
laugh.gif

Anyway, it has fabulous image quality, the optical zoom range actually exceeds that of my incredibly expensive SLR with 500mm lens attached :wacko:
Plus, it takes very good portraits and macro shots too. It's lightweight and, (the big plus for me) runs off AA batteries so spares aren't a problem.
Oh, and it shoots HD video as well so perfect for family days out etc.

Let me know if you're interested in any test shots and I'll put some up.

I'll certainly not ignore you (although I might ignore that goo_mason chap!). looks interesting. The problem is that there is a new model out and I can't help looking at that, and wanting that! :wacko:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Might be worth getting the camera checked over and an estimate for repair? You'll struggle to get any compact that'll cover 28-300mm - I think that's still SLR-lens territory.

As for a cheapish compact? I'll leave that to the experts who may have bought one recently. I bought a lovely little Casio about 4 years ago which was £250 then and top of the range at 12Mp; same sort of spec will probably be around £150 now.

What SLR lenses have you got for your Canon? I'm looking for more to add to mine.... ;)

Ok, I won't ignore you!

I've got an old lens from my previous eos 300! I'll need to check what that is but of the order of 28-50 ish. I also have a zoom lens again I'll need to check, but I know it goes up to 300mm and is one of the 'ultrasound' models. I probably would try selling them, and the broken body.

If you want a superzoom, read this test. As is the way with cameras, models move on quickly so you may find this a bit out of date and new models will have come out. Panasonic is rarely a bad choice, I don't think they've made a lemon yet, likewise Canon, Nikon, Pentax not so much Olympus.

Your other option for the downtrodden phase of your life is a ruggedised camers like this. Slightly over budget but what price peace of mind eh! Plus you can take it in the pool, on the beach, kids parties, all those things which you wil be doing for the next 8 years :smile: . Panasonic do one too as do Olympus (not so good) and Canon.

And finally: Ignore Panter :whistle:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
:cry:

ohnovino

Large Member
I've had my eye on a Samsung WB600 (£129.95 @ Amazon)

15x optical zoom (with ultra-wide angle), HD video (H264), HDMI port, full manual controls...

There's a chance the price of the Lumix TZ10 is about to fall sharply as they've released a newer version, but if not I think I'll go for the Samsung.

Top Bottom