Need advice on choosing the right folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In your price range have a look at these two. Reasonable folding bikes for their price.

http://www.compass24.com/web/catalog/shop/technics_comfort_bicycles/4852564
http://www.compass24.com/web/catalog/shop/technics_comfort_bicycles/4726710

The latter will have greater ride comfort with the bigger wheels but folds to a larger package as a result. Other than that they are pretty much the same and much lighter than the one you are considering.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'd be wary of a new bike costing £200 - I've read enough horror stories about them not lasting very well. You may do better going second-hand.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I'd absolutely echo this: £200 will buy you a new BSO but may get you something half-decent secondhand.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm prepared to trust Hilldogger on this.
He wouldn't sell anything that was a heap of smelly stuff, and he sells the one I linked to.
Usual disclaimer - no connection, no axe to grind.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[QUOTE 1865419, member: 45"]You have to be careful, but it's possible to get a decent one.[/quote]
Agreed. I picked up a perfectly decent Trek (rebadged Dahon) via a wantedad on this very forum.

Downward

Guru
The Viking Safari is also worth a look.
Not ridden one myself, but Hilldodger of this parish rides one, and he knows far more about bikes than I do.
Mind you, he commutes on a penny, so his judgement maybe isn't all that... :biggrin:

I have the Viking Safari - Been using it now for over a year. It's a bit of a challenge to fold to fit in the boot but you get used to it. Apply some tape on the bits where it rubs metal on metal on the folding bit.

I think I have done around 1000 miles on it on Tarmac and Canal Tow paths - Longest single Journey 5 miles which is enough on it to be honest - I'm sure I could manage more but I use it for the ease of use and convenience.

Think it's Discontinued but was £150.

OP
OP
D

draikin

Regular
I'll go for the Viking Safari then. But there's a problem : the shop looks frozen, their FB / Twitter profiles are inactive since a year ago and they didn't reply to my email enquiry I sent 2 days ago. Urgh !

OP
OP
D

draikin

Regular
@TheDoctor : wait, it seems to me that this bike on Ebay isn't quite the same as that one which looks like a new version (hence the '2011' in the name). Am I correct ?

OP
OP
D

draikin

Regular
Yes, there are slight differences in shape too if you look carefully. Compare this pic with that one
Also, Foldingbikes4u has a clone : compare this product page to that one. What's going on here ? The contact page doesn't include a phone number.
Too bad because they are the only ones who sell this particular bike, apart from All About the Home (but I contacted them and HAHAHAHA, they actually don't have the 2011 version, only the green one) :cry:

Top Bottom