need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iZaP

Über Member
Last month I cycled 400 miles in total, and only had two recovery days.

My daily commute is 16 miles both ways, some days I cycle even more.

Weekends are for longer rides, 50 miles last sunday, this weekend is going to be probably something similar.

And I want to gradually increase distances or my stamina, endurance, so I could cycle 100 miles or more few days in a row, maybe even more.

Would anyone have any advice for me?

maybe to have more recovery days, or cycle less, more? what could help me? :smile:

thanks in advance!

OP
OP
iZaP

iZaP

Über Member
No one? :sad:

Seamab

And I want to gradually increase distances or my stamina, endurance, so I could cycle 100 miles or more few days in a row, maybe even more.

I think you've answered your own question. Make it gradual in terms of volume/intensity - the 10% rule springs to mind (try not to up next weeks volume/intensity by more than 10%).

If you want to ride 100's several days in a row (other than at a pootle) that's a lot of stress on the body. At the moment just work up gradually to a single 100 and take it from there.

TBH 400 miles a month is not much especially with only 2 days off- approx 100 miles a week. You don't say what sort of intensity you are riding at. If it's all low, then make some of the commutes high intensity which will help your long endurance over time.

Recovery is individual - if you feel tired rest. If at the moment you don't need much recovery at all maybe you are not riding hard enough?

rich87

I'm training for a 50 hour JOGLE attempt at the moment and was thinking about swapping my commute on the train from Tonbridge - London for cycle commute basically to up my mileage on the bike.

However, in the end I decided against this as the commute rides I expect would turn out to be less training sessions, more about just getting into work.

So instead I just have my focused training rides. Therefore I do two long rides each day of the weekend (gradually upping the mileage) with two high intensity evening rides during the week.

The weekend rides are to basically push the amount of miles I can do on the bike and incorporate as many hill climbs as possible. I try to vary the routes as much as possible so I improve technique with ascents, descents and maintaining high speed along flats. The longer rides also help build the smaller muscles in the back and neck for spending long periods of time on a bike.

The weekday evening rides will be at 90%+ intensity for the full ride, i.e. can barely walk after getting off the bike (20.65 miles of relatively hilly route).

I find the high intensity sessions help increase muscle endurance and get me used to dealing with the burn in the legs as you have the for the whole way round the ride. It's also a good measure of my fitness as my times gradually fall for the ride.

In addition to these sessions on the bike, I do a 1 hour circuit class at my local gym each week and occasionally go swimming.

I find swimming is actually provides the best recovery after long rides, very relaxing! Also good for strengthening your lungs and improving your breathing.

OP
OP
iZaP

iZaP

Über Member
TBH 400 miles a month is not much especially with only 2 days off- approx 100 miles a week. You don't say what sort of intensity you are riding at. If it's all low, then make some of the commutes high intensity which will help your long endurance over time.

Recovery is individual - if you feel tired rest. If at the moment you don't need much recovery at all maybe you are not riding hard enough?

I commute at around 15mph average.

Well, I think I ride hard enough, my muscles are burning everyday :biggrin:

Top Bottom