Need help finding a bike for my girlfriend and I

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a1anm

Regular
Myself and my girlfriend are in the process of trying to buy bikes but haven't a clue where to start and was hoping someone could point us in the right direction.

We will be cycling for fun/fitness and will be mainly on paths but would like to be able to go reasonably long distances. We don't want to spend too much on our first bikes so thinking about £500.

I have found these 2 which I thought could be good options for me:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165534
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165534

And this one which I thought would be good for my girlfriend (though she doesn't like the colour so might be a no go!!):
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_777841_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Does anyone have any thoughts on these? Or could we get something better for the money?

HovR

Über Member
Boardmans are good bikes and generally considered pretty good value for money, although you may want to buy them boxed and get them set up by a proper bike shop as some Halfords mechanics are of questionable ability.

If you're interested in road bikes you could also look at the entry level Specialized Allez, or the Triban 5 from Decathlon.

Alternatively you could get a very well spec'd bike for £500 second hand, so perhaps you could try browsing our classifieds section and see if anything interests you.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
What do you mean by reasonably long distances? Also when you say paths, do you mean cycle paths or paths on the side of the road?

If you are looking at doing 30 or 40 miles plus and you mean proper cycle paths i.e. tarmac - I would be looking at a road bike - a lot on here swear by the Triban 3 from Decthalon - £300, leaving you a good chunk of money for all your kit you will start to amass

If you mean rough paths then go for hybrids as you have looked at.

£500 each is a good chunk of cash for a hybrid, if this is the route you want to go down, I would skip Halfords and go to your local bike shop, you will get much better advice and end up with a bike more suited to your needs.

sidevalve

Über Member
Halfords do I'm afraid seem to get themselves a bad name in the assembly / maintenance department, some stores are good but some are terrible. The bikes seem ok for your requirements but don't be afraid of road bikes, they aint as fragile as some people seem to imagine. You may have to slow down a little and take care if a track gets a bit rough but that's not the end of the world.
I would avoid suspension as it's really [for your use] just extra weight for very little [if any] benefit.
Don't forget to try out some of the larger bike shops either, Evans, if there's one near you is one but just try Google for bike shops.
For that sort of cash you could get a very nice used bike but unless you have some idea of what you are looking for new is probably safer.

OP
OP
A

a1anm

Regular
Thanks for the info. To be honest I'm not sure what type of distances we would be doing but I'd imagine in the summer we'd like to be able to do 30-40 milles. We are relatively fit so would like to get a bit of a workout sometimes. I am actually thinking of taking up cycling to replace running as I have problems with my knee and think cycling should put less pressure on it.

We would be on actual cycle/foot paths with tarmac but again I'm not sure how good some of the paths would be and even the roads around glasgow are full of pot holes. We are going to our local bike shop later today so hopefully they will be able to advise further.

Road bikes just intimidate me a bit as the only cycling experience I have is riding a mountain bike when I was young. That maybe doesn't make any sense but they just seem like quite 'serious' bikes!

Is there a lot of difference in the first 2 bikes I linked 2? Ie. is the slightly more expensive one a better bike?

jugglingphil

Is there a lot of difference in the first 2 bikes I linked 2? Ie. is the slightly more expensive one a better bike?
Click the specification tab for each bike, this will show the differences.
After a quick glace, 2nd link - Comp, is lighter, disc brakes, and better shifters/mech.

I'm sure either of these bikes will enable you to get out at start cycling, and will be well suited to your requirements.
Earlier this year my wife bought a Giant Escape 1 Hybrid, she loves it. The most important part of buying a new bike is making sure you get the right size so that you'll be comfortable. This is where a LBS can help.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
What do you mean by reasonably long distances? Also when you say paths, do you mean cycle paths or paths on the side of the road?

This is quite a difficult question. When I bought my Specialized Allez a few years ago, I would have regarded 30 miles as a long way, and 50 as an expedition. Did 150 miles in one day last year on it, and could have gone further if it wasn't for the blinking big hills that someone had put in my way.

Kins

Über Member
Don't forget to budget for accessories because that can be a big chunk of cash, especially if its for two of you. If your going distances clothing and cycle shorts will be important, as well as locks, tools, spare parts, bags/panniers etc, helmets (if you wear one).

I would chose the style of bikes you like then go to a store that will let you have a try, sit on a few and see what takes your fancy.

PpPete

Legendary Member
This is quite a difficult question. When I bought my Specialized Allez a few years ago, I would have regarded 30 miles as a long way, and 50 as an expedition. Did 150 miles in one day last year on it, and could have gone further if it wasn't for the blinking big hills that someone had put in my way.

Stay away from Audax then. :tongue:

Chris Norton

Wife and I have just bought Trek 7.2 fx's. Mine has disc brakes. Wife has a stepthrough ladies frame with an adjustable stem and a different handlebar that suits how she like's a bike. Mudguards on both, kickstand on both. Mine have ergon gp2 grips put on them. Came to the grand sum of £1000 from the LBS (Noel Craft in Boston).

Cannot praise them enough. Superb bikes and a big step up from our previous cheapies. Don't skimp on the locks though.......

Chris

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
(quote) I would skip Halfords and go to your local bike shop, you will get much better advice and end up with a bike more suited to your needs.[/quote
Not necessarily so, there are bike shops out there worse than halfords, nothing wrong with boardman bikes,

Cubist

Still wavin'
Those bikes you have linked to are quality bikes. You'll enjoy riding them and they will hold their value very well if you want to upgrade later. Halfords are a bit hit and miss to be fair, so make sure you have them checked over by someone you trust before you ride them.

jim55

Guru
as for roads ,potholes everwhere ,that shouldnt affect yr choice of bike ,i stay in glasgow so know what u mean

Top Bottom