Need lights and lock for new light - which ones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boris Bike

I'm getting a cyclo cross bike so I need some new lights and a decent lock.

Lights don't need to be great. The vast majority of my riding is on well lit roads around London. But the lock does need to be secure as the bike is £900. Wouldn't mind one of those d-locks that also comes with a cable as the wheels are QR.

Looking to spend around £30-40 on lights and £50-60 on lock.

There seems to be lots of sales on at the moment. Can anyone recommend any bargains?

Cheers

Nebulous

Guru
I have the smart 25 lux light set and would recommend them.

smart lights

The rear light has an issue with water ingress in wet weather, but should be okay if you seal it carefully (smear some vaseline on the seal) General advice is to install 2 sets of lights so that you have a back-up. People often put one on flash and one on steady.

Planet x are often quoted as giving good prices on lights, though that price doesn't look exceptionally good to me.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You need at least 4 lights, 2 front and 2 rear. I would suggest having a decent front and rear light and then an aver second set.
The busy streets of London are full of lights, be that from cars, bicycles, street lights, street signs and shop fronts. You need to make sure you stand out form the crowd.

As for locks, I wouldn't bother with the cable extensions, they are easy to snip. Get two decent locks, one d-lock and one chain lock. harder to break ;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
You need at least 4 lights, 2 front and 2 rear. I would suggest having a decent front and rear light and then an aver second set.
The busy streets of London are full of lights, be that from cars, bicycles, street lights, street signs and shop fronts. You need to make sure you stand out form the crowd.

As for locks, I wouldn't bother with the cable extensions, they are easy to snip. Get two decent locks, one d-lock and one chain lock. harder to break ;)

Agree. 4 lights will be do-able with that budget, and will save you from light/battery failure.

I like the quality and size of the Abus and Krypto miniD's myself.

Top Bottom