Need new jockey wheel? What do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jase_31

Regular
I have a 8 speed (Altus) and need to replace the two jockey wheels.

What do I need to get? I think it "might" be 13T and or 15T but im not sure. Can anyone advise? They seem hard to find?

Slioch

Guru
I'd go with the same size jockey's you've got on at present. These look like the ones.

Gazjacko

They should be sold in pairs as are not the same. Remember top one has play in it deliberately when fitting .

Ajax Bay

Guru
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/jockey-wheel-maintenance.213572/
Anyone find a decent explanation of what improvement in effectiveness using jockey wheels which are top/bottom designated (and fitted the correct way round) offer over a pair which are the same.
I've read all the stuff about the top one needing sideways float but (having searched) can find no decent explanations. Isn't the sideways float designed into the cage/bolt dimension/design?
1591953002129.png

Relatively new; (for @screenman - had done 15,000+km) should have been replaced ages ago (x2)

Last edited:

Gazjacko

The bottom one is a guide only whilst the top one has to cope with changing sprockets so needs some flexibility in its cage before the chain jumps to the new gear. Even if the look the same you might see the metal bush is slightly different to allow lateral movement.

Top Bottom