Need new tyre(s) - advice needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PompeyBill

You'll need to excuse me being a real novice here....

I have a 2011 Giant Escape 4 Hybrid, and am just really starting to get into the swing of commuting and getting a bit of fitness up. I do though need a new tyre, as my front tyre has developed a bit of a bulge in one particular area for some unknown reason. Now, here's where the noviceness comes in.

I could, obviously, get a straight replacement for my tyre size (700x35). However, I'm also thinking of trying a little thinner for a little more speed. Now, I take it that my bike rims can take a slightly thinner tyre, but I can't for the life of me find out how thin. I don't want anything super slim (I doubt the rims would be able to take that), just a little bit less. So, does anybody know how thin my rims will be able to take? My rims, in case that helps, are Giant CH18 SW aluminium.

Been looking around the forums for recommendations for tyres, and getting a bit of info, but if anybody does have any up-to-date recommendations they could make, that would be helpful too.

Many thanks for any help, and please excuse my rubbishness.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hi there, welcome to the forum.

Larger 700c tyres I've used;

Vredestein Perfect Max (32c) - Had a reflective sidewall, rolled ok, nasty slippy in the wet though.

Schwalbe City Jet (32c) - Also with reflective sidewall. Mrs Monkey has these on her bike - toured Belgium on them, and she rides to work every day on them - seem pretty decent.

Continental City Contact (42c) - My current tyre on the LHT (replaced the perfect max). Negligible loss of speed, surprisingly, and much more comfortable - very hardwearing.

As for which sizes - Sheldon Brown has a useful width compatibility chart. Measure your rims, & choose accordingly.

Top Bottom