need to replace chain...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lell

My chain snapped on my way home tonight. This also happened a few years back and in the course of repairing it, I lost a few links. So, it has been pretty short since. I now think it is beyond repair and that I need to replace it.

I believe I need to replace other drive train components if I replace the chain. Can anyone tell me if this is the case and, if so, which components? What are the consequences of replacing only the chain?

Thanks

OP
OP
L

Lell

I will check that. Thanks a lot for the advice.

Best way is to fit the new chain. If it jumps on the cassette (more than likely) then you'll have to replace that too. Chainrings are usually OK as they suffer less wear.

The chain broke because you rode it into the ground. On it's way to hell the rollers wore out on the connecting pins which made the chain a poor fit on the sprockets and chainrings. This resulted in extremely high loading on individual teeth causing accelerated wear.

I suspect that fitting a new chain to your trashed transmission parts will result in the chain skipping under load and will quickly destroy the new chain. You have no option but to replace the cassette or freewheel and one or two of the front rings.

In future replace the chain before it gets before it gets so worn that it destroys its fellow transmission components. Chains are cheap to buy and easy to fit, complete transmissions are not.

Invest in a chain wear indicator tool or borrow one from a cycle shop every couple of months (they wont mind one bit, they want to sell you a new chain).

Good chain maintenance and regular replacement can result in your other transmission parts lasting indefinitely, Mrs Mickle has a 12 yr old cassette on her bike and my mountain bike rings are 15 years old and counting.

Mr Pig

One of these:

chain_checker.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lell

Thanks for that. Have replaced the casette and the large ring. Bike has been hammered over the years, intermittently. However, now it is my daily vehicle, I will take far more care!

OP
OP
L

Lell

Yeah, I've heard about you and you cleaning habit;):bravo:

nuovo_record

and if you're going to get a new chain, get one of those "quick links" too...well worth it for a coupld of extra quid IMO

Top Bottom