Neighbours and property boundaries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
A colleague bought a cottage on a hillside above Hebden Bridge. There were lovely views over the Calder Valley from its front garden. There was a small mature tree in his garden and he looked forward to sitting in its shade in the summer, sipping a glass of wine, and enjoying the scenery.

Fat chance - when he went to move in he discovered that his neighbour had carried out a preemptive strike and cut the tree down, apparently because he had never liked it and wasn't going to wait to discuss felling it in case he didn't get his way! Thus began a long-running neighbourly feud ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-20466753

PK99

Legendary Member

For those not following link:
Guy paid tree surgeon to cut down TPO protected tree on his neighbours land to improve his view.

£75,000 FINE
£50,000 To council, representing increase I house value
£17,500 costs.

Sometimes the system works

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For the not following link:
Guy paid tree surgeon to cut down TPO protected tree on his neighbours land to improve his view.

£75,000 FINE
£17,500 costs.

Plus the guy who cut it down was fined and had the same £17.500 costs (as I read it) :bravo:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
For those not following link:

£75,000 FINE
£17,500 costs.

tree surgeon should have known better.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm not being racist here but I get the feeling it was an Irish guy with a 'flat bed transit' and a chainsaw judging by the mess he made of 'dropping' the tree (no 'back cut' and it only just missing buildings) there are loads of em round here offering 'Gardening services' and 'Landscaping' also a decent guy would have walked away from a job in someone else's garden.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm not being racist here but I get the feeling it was an Irish guy with a 'flat bed transit' and a chainsaw
Pat: (looking at a sign in newsagent's window): "Tree Fellers Wanted"
Mick: Sure, 'tis a pity there's only the two of us.

*It's OK, I'm Irish (arguably) :okay:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As an aside, assuming all neighbours are in agreement, and the tree isn't protected, you could hire these chaps to do some expert felling:
(and it has some @threebikesmcginty -style music too) :okay:

Wow. Expert at work.

Though the lack of ppe is somewhat scary as I've witnessed what a running chainsaw can do when mishandled.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm not being racist here but I get the feeling it was an Irish guy with a 'flat bed transit' and a chainsaw judging by the mess he made of 'dropping' the tree (no 'back cut' and it only just missing buildings) there are loads of em round here offering 'Gardening services' and 'Landscaping' also a decent guy would have walked away from a job in someone else's garden.
Isn't it also therefore criminal damage?

Guy I worked with had his own tree surgeon business for a while. Checking for TPO was just part of his checklist - no bother with a decent working relationship with the councils in his area. He did once fall foul of another restriction, possibly a covenant but I'm not sure. Something that was quite rare anyway in his experience.

Top Bottom