Nemisis hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delphi

Morning all

I've been cycling since May doing between 8 - 20 miles a day in the week and sometimes more or less at the weekend. I did the London to Oxford ride in July and then the Oxford to Cambridge 90 miler a few weeks ago. I'm building up to London to Paris next year and despite an argument with a car that earnt me an ambulance trip and some thieving git stealing my replacement bike after the crash I am still keen.....that said I have a hill that is my nemisis. It's not on my normal commute, but I go off before work for a circuit around the park so that I have to do it most days. At first, before I got a road bike, I just couldn't get up it. Now I can get up it and even overtook some poor person that looked like me on my first trip there (weaving all over the shop) and beetroot red. What I want to know is, how long before I can get up it without sounding like a 90 year old chronic asthmatic? Or feeling like my lungs will burst and my legs won't stop shaking?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hallo and welcome, good to hear that you are still keen, keep at it, it will just get better...

tomfysh

Hi I am sure we all have that nemesis hill, mine is a small but long incline of 2 miles on the start of all my rides its on thr edge of romney marsh in kent, cycling 60 ish miles per week for the last 6 months & it still make me sound like an weezing elephant!!!!!
as dori says (Nemo ref) just keep swimming!!!!

Ranger

It doesn't seem to get any better, you just get fitter and then go faster so you still sound like an asthmatic 90 year old.

Or maybe it's just me:biggrin:

MGBLemonrider

I have a short steep one ( 51m over .5km) that I incorporate in to some rides. Initially had to come out the seat, now can do the whole hill seated, just a case of speed and perhaps getting out of bottom gear (unlikely) so it will be how far up till change down into bottom.
Other hills on my commute I used to have to go into bottom, now I don't- still knackered but at work quicker, not sure this is a good thing.

Top Bottom