Nervous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can only see three options
1) forget about it and move on
2) get off and walk
3) find an alternative route.

I had a couple of very close near misses earlier in the year but as they were due to driver muppetry with little I could have done, I just forgot about them and kept on riding the same way.

One more option
4) Move to a country where there are no RAB's. Over here there are almost no RAB's and when you do run into one it has lights to direct traffic.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Roundabout
Aha! what we call an 'RBT' then.

We have a tricky RAB near to where I used to live, a place called Heartsease just outside Norwich. Its a 5 way roundabout and its horrible. I always got off my bike and walked across the roads until I got to my junction and then got on. Via car or motorbike, I just avoid it like the plague. Hateful RAB. I got knocked off my bike when I was about 10 and have never got over it, so I totally understand your fear Sandra.

I know not everyone likes Air zound horns but they work quite well giving a toot toot early on, when you think a driver hasn't seen you or might do something silly, it can be that little extra that gets someone noticing you, then give a friendly wave when they do actually look your way, so it's not taken the wrong way.
I wasn't knocked off on a RAB but it took me ages to feel confident again generally, I just avoided the junction I was hit on for ages, just expected everyone be an arse and tried to think of escape routes if they did.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Do you have a ride buddy or someone who you can ride with (same thing I know).

Sharing the ride with someone who rides like you is a great way to diffuse tension and potential fear. plus it provides two pairs of eyes.

hope it all comes back to you soon.

I quite often do have a cycling buddy, one of our cycle mechanics rides home the same way, but our shift times haven't clashed for a while. I need to have the manager change the rota!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I use my head torch on a low setting, so that when I look at the drivers waiting to join the RABT, my light's shining at them & more likely to get their attention. I'll even waggle my head about to help the light get their attention.

Also, I slow right down and basically expect them to pull out on me, so nine times out of ten, I'm able to stop if they do.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Sandra, you are not alone!

I was hit from behind on a road at night (when lit up like a xmas tree) by a driver who claimed he hadn't seen me. I was also nervous getting back on the road. While you often hear the advice "just get back on the bike" I don't think it's quite simple. Being hit really drives home the point that ultimately, on a bicycle, you are horribly exposed -something you have to accept.

So what did I do? I changed my route to avoid the road I got hit on -it was a road that I recognized wasn't a "good" road to cycle on, but 30+ years of incident free cycling and complacency got the better of me, and I thought I knew how to cycle to avoid anything (note here, it doesn't matter how much Cyclecraft you read, or how well you cycle, you do not have a magic invisible shield around you. Cycling well only reduces the chances to being hit). As it so happens, the new route was the best thing I ever did -I didn't even know I could cut across some woods and get in some off road stuff in on the way to work, as well as avoid this nasty bit of road. My commute is so much nicer and more enjoyable now....

It may be the RAB you refer to is pretty safe -though visibility at night in the rain would certainly be a cause of concern for me! As other people have said, you seem to have the following options (aside from reassessing whether you did anything wrong or if you could have done something better):
  1. keep on doing what you are doing and see if you get more comfortable
  2. walk around a hazard or simply wait until there is no traffic to be seen to cycle through (absolutely no shame in doing that)
  3. change your behaviour for the conditions (i.e. cycle the RAB in daylight, but not at night in the rain, or take the car/bus/whatever if you know it will be dark and raining -admittedly not always practical)
  4. find an alternative route if you can
Of course, you should also reassess your visibility as well (do you need better lights? Hi-viz? More reflectors? How well visible is your side profile?) or potentially consider an Airzounds as has been previously mentioned.

Sandra, good luck, it's not easy -but the good news is usually you can find a solution that makes you comfortable and as safe as you can be.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I have considered a light on my helmet.
There was a police car observing again tonight, guess I'm not the only one reporting incidents on that route.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I completely understand your feelings as, having been hit by a 4WD on a RAB last week, I seemed to have the same hesitation for a few days ….
As pointed out on the forum several times…. If they ain’t looking they won’t see you. So… I shall keep to the original route, shine my lights even brighter, look them in the eye and hover over the brakes expecting the unexpected. The barstewards ain’t gonna get me down!!!

OMG, George! Just found out about this, didn't have time to check the new threads for a few days, as I had 6.30am starts.
This week has been full of bad news, on here and in "real life", shall be looking out for you tomorrow on the commute.

@Sandra: I think your feeling of unease will pass in a couple of weeks. You are doing great still riding the rab, in spite of your fears :thumbsup:

Top Bottom