Neuroma of the hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Anyone here have, or had, a neuroma in the hand?

I’ve had this weird problem with the thumb of my right hand whereby any light pressure to the inside of the second joint (where the skin continues to the base of the index finger) results in a sensation exactly like being electrocuted. Not a light buzz but a proper belt ⚡that sometimes goes the length of my forearm and makes me swear rather loudly.

Obviously the reflex reaction means I drop or randomly throw whatever is in my hand at the time. Ten minutes ago that was a 200g tub of candied peel which went across the kitchen wall.

Since it hadn’t eased any and a new symptom of persistent pins and needles in the thumb appeared two weeks ago, I saw my GP.

He’d never come across this in the hand before and is going to refer me to a hand surgeon for assessment.

Anybody had this and can say what might lie ahead?

midlife

Guru
Do you mean neuralgia ? Neuroma is a sort of tumour.

Neuroma is definitely the word the GP used.

Vickster beat me to it.
Neuromas are caused by injuries to a nerve, and are basically a knot of scar tissue which forms as an injured nerve attempts to heal. They are very common indeed - but people rarely notice the ones that don't hurt, which are the majority.
They can be visualised (sometimes) by MRI, but ultrasound is probably the best way of visualising them, if that is considered necessary.

There are several possible treatments - initially medication and perhaps physiotherapy might be considered; there are different well-tolerated pharmaceuticals which alter the way your brain processes pain signals; there are other types of pharmaceutical analgesia which might be tried, or TENS or therapeutic U/S might be offered. If non-surgical treatments aren't effective, then surgery to remove the neuroma might be considered. Some changes in lifestyle might be recommended - for instance in Morton's neuroma, certain shoe styles can exacerbate the problem.

The good news is that - although a neuroma won't (usually) just 'go away' on its own, in almost all cases the problems it causes can be solved and often by fairly simple means.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
There are several possible treatments - initially medication and perhaps physiotherapy might be considered; there are different well-tolerated pharmaceuticals which alter the way your brain processes pain signals; there are other types of pharmaceutical analgesia which might be tried, or TENS or therapeutic U/S might be offered. If non-surgical treatments aren't effective, then surgery to remove the neuroma might be considered. Some changes in lifestyle might be recommended - for instance in Morton's neuroma, certain shoe styles can exacerbate the problem.

The good news is that - although a neuroma won't (usually) just 'go away' on its own, in almost all cases the problems it causes can be solved and often by fairly simple means.

Thanks for that.

Neuromas are caused by injuries to a nerve, and are basically a knot of scar tissue which forms as an injured nerve attempts to heal.

I suspect my problem arises from a heavy fall in mid-December, which was borne by the heel of my right
hand. The pain was excruciating and I was convinced I’d broken it. At hospital an x-ray didn’t show a break so the hand/thumb was splinted and bandaged, and I was given painkillers.

All was fine in the intervening period, aside from the odd dull ache at the heel of my hand.

The GP had a feel around the base of the thumb and said there’s definitely a boney lump that shouldn’t be there. He reckons this is interfering with a nerve.

I have had to adapt how I hold things, which works most of the time although I’m occasionally caught out even when I’m being careful.

The annoying thing is I have about half a ton of log rings to split and others to cut. Somehow I don’t fancy the idea of this nerve giving me a belt while I’ve got either an axe or a running chainsaw In my grip!

Top Bottom