never thought of this!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
From

http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=345

It’s best to angle the D lock so that the opening is facing down. This prevents thieves from pouring in substances such as glue to prevent the owner from being able to retrieve the bike, giving them the chance to force the lock open later.

I'll be following the above advice from now on!

Randochap

Senior hunter
stephenjubb said:
It’s best to angle the D lock so that the opening is facing down. This prevents thieves from pouring in substances such as glue to prevent the owner from being able to retrieve the bike, giving them the chance to force the lock open later.

Yep. Always do this. Also makes it harder to bugger around w/ the locking mechanism.

andym

Über Member
Sounds good in theory but I can't see how it would work in practice if you lock it in the most secure way ie d-lock through the rear triangle and then round a Sheffield stand. Ironic that the article is illustrated by a photo of a bike that has been really unsecurely locked.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
stephenjubb said:
It’s best to angle the D lock so that the opening is facing down.

I have always done this, although the original motivation was to avoid getting water in the lock when it rained...

Ben M

ah good idea.

I have quite a small D lock, and lock through the back frame and wheel, so that there isn't any room to get a bottle jack in to pop it open.

Top Bottom