New 520's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lutonloony

Über Member
Went for a spin on my new steed today (Pinacle Dolomite), which I had fitted with a pair of 520. Slight miscalculation as I forgot to check Spring tension. Led to a very xciting first stop, when my usual foot twist had zero effect! Managed the panic waggle before gravity won. Now if only I could remember where I put the new cleats

BTW loving the new bike, think they have set my saddle 3" higher than old bike, difference is astonishing

huwsparky

Über Member
I can only assume your talking about new pedals? 'A pair of 520' doesn't really mean anything to me.

huwsparky

Über Member
A 3" saddle height alteration is massive! Didn't you realise that it may have been wrong? You must have been getting terrible knee pain before?

OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member
It was an old Raleigh and I had the seat post as high as I dared. Think height might be a little much, but could just be because I'm not used to it
( suppose I should have said shimano m520 pedals)

huwsparky

Über Member
It was an old Raleigh and I had the seat post as high as I dared. Think height might be a little much, but could just be because I'm not used to it
( suppose I should have said shimano m520 pedals)
Multiply your Inseem by .883. Your saddle should be very close to this measurement measuring from the centre of the BB to top of seat.

To measure your Inseem stand back to the wall and have someone push a book or something up into your crotch replicating the pressure of the saddle. Top of the book = Inseem measurement.

OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member
Multiply your Inseem by .883. Your saddle should be very close to this measurement measuring from the centre of the BB to top of seat.

To measure your Inseem stand back to the wall and have someone push a book or something up into your crotch replicating the pressure of the saddle. Top of the book = Inseem measurement.
I will do that tomorrow, again thanks for heads up

U

User33236

Mrs SG nearly got caught out with her new Ultegra SPD-SL pedals. As they I normally shipped at the lowest tension setting (where she like to use them) they were simply fitted to her new bike. Both were actually turned up to about half tension. Something worth checking in future :sad:

OP
OP
lutonloony

lutonloony

Über Member

Not being funny, but doesn't that .883 depend on crank length

huwsparky

Über Member
Not being funny, but doesn't that .883 depend on crank length
Lol, were talking 5mm between common crank sizes when you've been riding a bike 75mm out and didn't even realise. That formula with get you to a point where you can fine tune from. In my case it's 100% right.

Top Bottom