New Back Wheel or New Hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

The freehub body on my back wheel has finally gone, and since it was machined to the hub, it wasn't replaceable. So I either need to buy a new hub and build the wheel myself, or buy a whole new back wheel.

If you've read any of my recent posts you will know I'm not an experienced wheel builder ;) but I have managed to build and true a wheel.

However, is it worth paying the extra for a whole new wheel just for the peace of mind it wont fail?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If your buying a new hub, it will only cost like 50-60 more to get a new rim and built by a LBS wont it (you would need to buy spokes either way?). This might still work out about same price(maybe a little more) as an off the shelf wheel but you get the advantage of bieng able to mix and match the rim and hub yourself, depends how happy you are with current rim, could always get a LBS to build the wheel costs like £10-15 usually right? for your peace of mind if they are good.

Personally, I'd upgrade rims too if getting a new hub for the sake of it. Rather than later wishing I'd got a new better rim at the same time. Although I've seen some really fully built wheels by Hope that wont break the bank.

I make snap judgements though, and dont know an awful lot, lol

GilesM

Legendary Member
All depends how much the rim is worth, but unless it's a very good rim I expect it won't cost much more to buy a new wheel.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Sam Kennedy said:
If you've read any of my recent posts you will know I'm not an experienced wheel builder :wacko: but I have managed to build and true a wheel.

However, is it worth paying the extra for a whole new wheel just for the peace of mind it wont fail?

First - well done on taking the plunge and rebuilding it yourself.

So why do you think it might fail?

I'm not that experienced a wheel builder...only been doing it a year or so and maybe built a dozen wheels all told.
But having subjected some of my creations to a level of abuse that the individual components were never designed for, I have a great deal more faith in my own handbuilts than in any factory-built wheel or any knocked out by a pimply youth on minimum wage in a LBS.

If your rebuilt wheel is laterally & radially true (i.e. round & straight) enough for your purposes, and the spoke tensions are even (no more than a semi-tone difference when plucked like a guitar string) then it just isn't going to fail - until the rim wears out.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Don't forget that rear wheels are a bit more complex to build than the front due to the dishing.

Save up for a decent pair of factory wheels would be my advice - or check the retailers sites as they frequently offer the odd rear wheel for sale.

Have built my own wheels in the past but now rely on factory wheels - they are a lot better than I could ever do as they can get the tension exactly right for the spokes/rim.

Top Bottom