new bike 3 weeks old, some slight concerns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philr

Hello again, i have now been riding my new spes sirrus for approx 3 weeks now, doing some commutes to work 22 mile round trip.

i have noticed some slight noises from certain gears.

when front gears are on largest sprocket and rear on easiest gear, quite a loud noise comes from the chain and sprockets. is this because i have both front and rear at biggest opposing angle to each other (does that make sense)

also i have noticed that gear 6 on the rear sprocket is quite noisey no matter what front gear set to.

can this be common for the model of bike i have or does a little fine tuning need to be considered.

thanks in advance

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As you say yourself, large ring and large sprocket should be avoided. Ditto small/small. Re the other noise, your cable will have had some initial stretch and the indexing will be slightly out. You need to turn the barrel adjuster on the rear mech anti-clockwise to take up the slack on the cable. If you are not yet confident enough to fiddle with it yourself, your LBS will sort it in a few minutes and show you how to do it.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Check that the rear derailler isn't brushing the spokes, is the noise a loud rapid clicking(indexing has slipped)or a clanging click(possibly the rear deraillier is brushing the spokes)?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As mentioned, if you are new, just take it back - they do free first services anyway, and have a good chat about what you need to do - this is all normal stuff on a bike these days, but if you haven't been cycling, then it might be a bit "Whoooahhhh what's going on".........

Get friendly with your local bike shop....and get the free advice - and ask on here !!!!

We can tell you how to do it, 1. don't use both extremes of gears - was even that rule with 7 speed rears, and 2. You do need to adjust the trim - with the little adjuster on the rear changer - but only move by half a turn at a time, then re-try it !

OP
OP
P

philr

many thanks for replies, i appreciate the comments about not using extreme opposites with gears it kind of makes sense when i think about it,

i will contact my LBS as my knowledge is way out of my depth at the moment with adjustments etc.

but rest assured i will be having a good look when they make the adjustments, i will go when they are quiet and hope to get some quality practical application.

thanks again

Top Bottom