New bike, clipless moment and a question . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Hello all.

Having posted a 'hello' in the welcome section, I thought I should send an update. Having used my old Apollo TDF road bike to get back into shape, and having enjoyed it immensely, I decided the time was ready for a new bike. Having always wanted a Bianchi since my youth, I took the plunge and have just bought myself a Via Nirone Xenon - picture attached, hopefully.

I went out for a first ride last night - love the bike, received a couple of admiring comments, and found the Campag gearset just as smooth as my (admittedly 9 years old and unserviced!) Shimano set up on my old bike.

Getting used to the clipless SPD-SLs, until I unclipped my left foot as turning right into my driveway! Cue toppling over into the bamboo plant, desperately trying to save my brand new bike from being scratched or damaged - I think I managed it!

So - onto my question. I remember being told years ago that a bike should be stored with the chain in the smallest sprocket front and back, as it means there is less tension in the cables. Any truth in that?

Anyway, thanks for listening, and see you around. :hello:

Attachments

• 20150818_165842.jpg
    20150818_165842.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 59
Well done for so many of your choices! As a fellow Bianchi/Campagnolo/SL pedal enthusiast that is.
I too have heard of the idea that you leave the cables slack when you store the bike. Never done it. Nobody died! I prefer to leave the bike in a gear I can start off in as I join the traffic outside my house.
My bamboo is slightly out of range from the drive, so I tend to grab the gate instead. Whatever works for you!
Did you know there is an official Bianchi Owners Club?

Citius

So - onto my question. I remember being told years ago that a bike should be stored with the chain in the smallest sprocket front and back, as it means there is less tension in the cables. Any truth in that?

It is true in the sense that there is less tension on the cables in those positions. It doesn't really matter though...

screenman

Legendary Member
Small to small is stressing the chain, try it and look at it from behind the bike and see the bend in it. It is 20 years since the gear cables were changed on my old training bike which is now my turbo bike and it has never been left in the way you describe.

Citius

Small to small is stressing the chain

Not true. There may be a visible curve in the chain line, but it is absolutely not stressing it beyond its lateral limits. Try bending a dismounted chain along its length for a practical demonstration of just how far you need to bend it for it to be under stress.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I always used to do that - seemed somehow more important with friction levers on the down tube, when you could feel the tension in the cables. The levers had to be left in line with the frame tube. Of course there was less in the way of cross chaining with the smaller width of a 5 speed block! Must be a deeply ingrained habit as I still make sure I leave the bike with the chain on the smaller chainring, but nowadays just somewhere in the middle of the cassette at the back :okay:

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Thanks for the replies.

@Apollonius - I wasn't aware of the Owners Club. Just checked their website out but it doesn't seem very informative! Worth becoming a member?

@youngoldbloke - that's exactly it - I remember putting the two levers parallel to the downtube each evening. Glad the general view is that it's unnecessary, as it is a pain trying to start off in an unsuitable gear, especially one crossing the chain as @screenman points out.

Was looking forward to taking Bianca, er, sorry, I mean my Bianchi, out again tonight, but it's just started hammering down with rain. Oh well, I shall just continue to gaze at her in the living room. Not sure how much longer I'll get away with that before having to put her in the garage . . .

Bianchi Owners Club only began in its current form at the Eroica (June), and is only just getting going. The main attraction is the Bianchi supported I-rides which pop up all over the country. The next one is from Macclesfield. Might be your thing, might not. We went to one in Kent recently, which was excellent.
My wife will be very pleased you named your Bianchi. Hers are called Roberto and Valentino. Mine gets less respectfully called "the plastic bike".
One bit of advice - look after your chain. The 10 speed chains do not seem as durable as the old 5 speeds which lasted for ever if covered with black oily gunk. Invest in a KMC nickel-plated chain, keep it shiny and put next to no oil or lubricant on it. It keeps everything sweet (and the carpets clean!)

OP
OP
wheresthetorch

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
One bit of advice - look after your chain. The 10 speed chains do not seem as durable as the old 5 speeds which lasted for ever if covered with black oily gunk. Invest in a KMC nickel-plated chain, keep it shiny and put next to no oil or lubricant on it. It keeps everything sweet (and the carpets clean!)

Thank you - I'll bear that in mind.

It is 20 years since the gear cables were changed on my old training bike
'Ditto' my 1994 Dyna-Tech 755Ti, & they've never been changed, once any initial stretch/bedding in has taken place, they should be fine indefinitely

That said, it could do with the (original) rear brake cable changing, as it's getting surface rust, but it's not been out of the garage for 2 years now!
(so I keep thinking about selling it)

Top Bottom