New bike - disc brake catching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raleigh_Grifter

Newbie, just bought Revolution Cross Sport with disc brakes.

First bike for 20 years, and just as I was about to take it out tonight for first time I noticed front disc is catching on the inside brake pad. Had the wheel off and messed around a bit, but it's still happening. I'm not confident or knowledgeable to do anymore and don't want to do something stupid.

Back to the shop, or is there an easy fix??

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Easy fix.

Make sure the wheel is in correctly, slacken the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on the fork, apply the brake and with the brake still held on tighten the 2 bolts back up.

Caliper and disk should now be aligned.

Welcome!!!

This is a cable operated disc. The inner pad should be as close as possible to the rotor (disc) as only the outer pad is moved under braking. Adjustment is usually by allen key in the back of the calliper. You can try backing it off a touch if you like but on a new bike you can expect a little light rub until everything is bedded in.

OP
OP
Raleigh_Grifter

Raleigh_Grifter

It's a quick release wheel, so can't tighten two bolts simultaneously!

Thanks rusty, I've now had a go at loosening the calliper. Even all the way out it is still catching once the wheel is tightened up again. However, when the wheel is left on loose and gently spun, sometimes there's no noise. It catches as soon as it's tightened up though. I've tried adjusting how tight it is, all to no avail.

:wacko:

awfulquiet

You might have a warped brake rotor (they are somewhat delicate...). Does it only catch in one stop on the revolution of the wheel?

If so, just about any LBS will have a tool to un-warp it if possible..

OP
OP
Raleigh_Grifter

Raleigh_Grifter

It varied. It started off as part of the revolution, then when I tried a couple of times, it became the whole wheel.

I tried a few more times last night by free wheeling it until it was spinning without noise, then tightening it slightly more loosely. It's a lot better now, with only a slight noise on a small part of the revolution.

Is this normal until the bike is broken in, or should I get it looked at?

I haven't even ridden the thing yet!

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
DSCF0494Small.jpg
This is the adjustment bolt for the fixed disc pad.Back it off until the pad is not touching the disc.

Attachments

• DSCF0494Small.jpg
    DSCF0494Small.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Raleigh_Grifter

Raleigh_Grifter

Hi shortmember, that looks like the calliper I tried adjusting. Screwed it right out, and was still catching.

Think it is ok(ish) now, but been advised by shop just to take the bike out and give it a few miles, to see if it beds in ok.

lpretro1

It is a new bike - disk pads do rub a little when new - Take it out and ride it about doing some really hard braking from speed and it will settle itself down fine.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
I had a problem with the moving pad being always in contact with the disc rotor, and after all attempts at calliper adjustment failed I loosened off the wheel nuts and moved the wheel slightly so that the rotor was positioned mid way between the pads and then held the wheel tightly, so it didn't move, and tightened up the wheel nuts and it cured the problem for me.

Andrew Brown

Unfortunately, from my experience with cable and hydraulic discs, the only CABLE system where you are likely to truly eliminate all hints of drag, is the BB7 from Avid. They have their trick 3D positioning setup with 2 sets of dished washers to help get around any slight misalignment of frame, mounts etc.. This wont save you if you have a warped rotor but can get round almost all other mounting and alignment issues.

I'm not saying other cable systems cant be setup to be drag free but its a fair bit harder, particularly on slightly lower end setups. Just my 2p.

Top Bottom