new bike for 'er in doors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvdaz

after treating myself to a new bike the missus has decreed that she wants a new one.

she currently has a carrera subway which she uses for commuting..but we have both taken up cycling as a keep fit/hobby and is looking to upgrade

we are planning a couple of 100km rides in the summer so looking for something that will do both jobs

I dont think she will get on with a full on road bike..shes not too keen on the drop handlebar with the gears on the brakes!

budget max would be max 500

Norm

As you are a Specialized chap already, I'd look at the Sirrus.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
rsvdaz said:
after treating myself to a new bike the missus has decreed that she wants a new one.

she currently has a carrera subway which she uses for commuting..but we have both taken up cycling as a keep fit/hobby and is looking to upgrade

we are planning a couple of 100km rides in the summer so looking for something that will do both jobs

I dont think she will get on with a full on road bike..shes not too keen on the drop handlebar with the gears on the brakes!

budget max would be max 500
Mrs Scoosh wasn't too keen on a drop bar bike either ... until she rode one and was amazed at the extra speed (esp uphill !) for same effort. :hyper:

If 'the missus' doesn't like the gear/brake combine, have a look at the SRAM double tap gears. Basically, the brake lever does the brakes and the gear lever changes gears, one tap for up, 2 taps for down. I've got SRAM Rival on my bike and like it a lot.

Drop bar bikes don't need to be low-down, racing positions; "audax"-type bikes are designed to be fast day rides, with 'credit-card' touring (ie not packing full heavy camping gear). They have a slightly longer head tube and the position is not as low as a racer. Touring bikes are not usually as quick as an "audax-type" but can carry the heavy stuff. Their riding position is a bit more upright than the "audax-type".

The move from flat bars to drop bars can be a bit scary/disturbing as the balance is different. My suggestion is to get your missus to test ride a few drop bar bikes to get the feel of them, almost before going to look seriously.

HTH

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

cheers scoosh any recommendations for the budget..i will see if she wants to try a few out...you never know!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
+1 on the trying out drop bars thing.

OH got his first drop bar bike last year (tourer rather than road bike, but riding position similar), to do a sportive on. I had a go on a friend's drop bar bike and didn't like it much - it felt very unstable - but I'm quite a bit taller than her so the bike didn't really fit.

OH encouraged me to have a few rides on his bike, and I got used to it and decided to take the plunge. Got measured up properly for a touring bike (Hewitt Cheviot)* - thought the riding position was far too tipped forward when I collected it, but within a couple of shortish rides I decided that the man in the shop had got it spot on.

I'm now really glad I went for the drop bar option (I did get lower than normal gears on it, which helps my girly legs get up hills). And I got used to the combined brakes/gears very quickly.

*more than your budget - but I think you can get measured up in many bike shops and get whatever you buy adapted to fit by changing bar/saddle positions etc

monnet

Guru
If you're thinking of doing all your riding on the road then it's definitely worth thinking about the drop bar option. As others have said, the balance is different and can seem a little unstable at first (so I understand, from the age of 8 I've only ever owned drop bar bikes!) but once you get used to them the are much more stable and are far more responsive than most flat bars.

OP
OP
rsvdaz

rsvdaz

thanks everyone for their input..i took her to the LBS..she totally discounted dropped bars..we ended up getting a spesh vita sport

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
rsvdaz said:
thanks everyone for their input..i took her to the LBS..she totally discounted dropped bars..we ended up getting a spesh vita sport
Great - I hope she enjoys it but, most importantly - Rides it :laugh:

How long before she wants to go faster ??? :evil:

Top Bottom