New bike help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
Hello. I'm after a new bike for myself, I've just entered the ballot for London ride 100, I've also seen some other events I would like to tackle. I currently commute on my claud butler MTV to work, but I'm wanting a road bike now to continue my hobby of cycling. I use my nth at weekends on the road, but i think I will get a better road from a road bike.

I have a budget of £400 for the bike. I would like to know of makes I should advoid at all costs. I know my budget is probably a bit tight, so if I can stretch I will. I have a couple of local bike shops here in Colchester Essex.

So please any tips on what to advoid would be good and any tips on what to look for. Should I buy second hand?

vickster

Legendary Member
Decathlon - Btwin Triban 3 - get thee to Lakeside, £300 :whistle: Or the Triban 5 is £500

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Ok, are these good entry level? I don't mind having to upgrade over time the running gear.

Also possibility of using c2w scheme if company signs up. What sort of money do you pay each month and how much do you pay at the end to own the bike?

Cyclist33

If buying cash, I wracked my brains but can't suggest anything better than the triban 3 with money left over for lights lock n helmet and a jacket.

C2w, typically you're saving 30% over the year so if the bike was 400 quid then paying 280 ish so 24 ish a month. But then it's 25% of the purchase cost to buy the bike outright after a year, so factor in £100 at that point.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
So really I would only be saving around 20 quid.

I've never heard of the triband 3, but did have a look, are the triband bikes on same par as carrera from halfords?
I really don't know what to do. I know I need to go and try them but don't know if I should up my limit.

Zakalwe

Is that a thing now, paying 25% of the value at the end? I thought it was up to the employer to decide a fair value - mine decided not to bother when I did it a few years back.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
Ok, I will go down the lbs soon when I get the chance. But just looking here for advice on what to look for and to advoid. Because there is so much choice out there. I know different bike suit different people,

Top Bottom