New bike - how to prevent those scratches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
This is on the kid's new bike - he has already managed to scratch it and was upset that he had marked the frame already.

What sort of tape is there that I can apply to protect the frame a bit. And are there any problems with using tape? (My bike seemed to come with clear tape along the chain stay - the edges have lifted slightly but its still on the bike over a year on).

Medic6666

chain scratches

I use lizard skins to protect my frame from chain slop.

This is the main site, but you can get them from many cycle shops in the uk.

http://www.lizardskins.com/products/?type=mountain&product_line=chainstays

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Google for Helicopter tape. Loads of different sellers, some charge a lot more than others!

one word of advice, round off any corners, as it stops it lifting so much

manalog

Über Member
Try clear film for Headlamps, they are much cheaper than copter tape, I have mine on my Carbon Frame for six months now and still going strong.

Tynan

Veteran
it's a kids bike, it's going to get mashed up

let them get over the terrible first scratch like the rest of us

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It was because he was upset that he had scratched it... and I know that come the new term how it will get bashed by other kids bikes in the bike shed. I would rather he had the attitude of not wanting to mark it by looking after it than he treated it really roughly. Yes it will get scratched - I'm not going to be really precious over it - after all I would rather he rode it than hung it on the wall and admired it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bikes get scratched..i.e. used....you can't win.

Touch up painted bits...but bare alloy..well. live with it....

That's Life....it's a kid's bike...they get abused...... that's where you come in as a parent to make sure they work 100%, especially brakes......

Top Bottom