New Bike shop in Devon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

davethebike

Hi and thanks for the feedback, its all very valuable to me, will keep you updated with our progress.
regards
dave

I'm not a bike expert but (pretending to be Mary Portas, figuratively speaking, I'm not dragging up) I'd say most importantly, you need to know your product/customers. If people want to go to a shop where the staff don't know much about bikes and where they just 'shift boxes' they can go to Halfords!

You say there are several established shops in the immediate area - what are you going to do/offer which they don't? Why are potential customers going to choose your shop? What's your USP?

If the shop currently sells mostly secondhand bikes, presumably catering for the student market, then you need to keep that customer base and build upon it. What sort of bikes do they mostly buy, what are they prepared to spend?

Hello Dave!

I'm in Exeter from tomorrow until Friday pm and would like to come in personally and wish you luck. What is the shop's address?

I'll treat you to a Cornish pastie and coffee, too!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hello Dave!

I'm in Exeter from tomorrow until Friday pm and would like to come in personally and wish you luck. What is the shop's address?

Dayvo, a quick google reveals that there is already a bike shop at 204 Topsham road called Full-Circle cycles, I don't know if it's that one. I think it's in the parade of shops opposite the exit of Barrack road.
Did we ever have an 'Exeter' conversation? My memory's poor. Did you live or go to school there? Twas the place of my Birth and early schooling (Mount Pleasant Road/Regebnts Park/Cathedral School). Still have a fondness for the old place!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
had a look on their site, thanks. all input is useful. do you know any accessory wholesalers to the trade??? found a few but there are probably a ton of them i don't know of. agreed about the condescending bit, could never do it, not in my nature which will hopefully stay with me for ever. shop has a good mechanic which i'm planning to keep on, invaluable, especially as i'm the novice. anyway, keep in touch as any help and advice always welcomed.
regards
dave

Sorry dave, don't know much about wholesalers etc.
Maybe start a seperate thread asking the question. There are some here 'Mickle' I think is one that has knowledge of the bike biz.

Dayvo, a quick google reveals that there is already a bike shop at 204 Topsham road called Full-Circle cycles, I don't know if it's that one.

Did we ever have an 'Exeter' conversation? Did you live or go to school there?

Thanks Fab, I'll have a look, otherwise it gives me a good reason to go into The Bike Shed!

No, my only connection with Exeter is that my mother has lived there since 1988 and I go and visit her every now and then.

OP
OP
D

davethebike

Hi, correct it is the one on topsham road, full circle cycles is there now, i have signed the lease and should be in within the next 2-3 weeks, you know what solicitors are like, lol, anyway please hang fire popping in and i'll let you know when i have keys in hand, as i will be giving the place a new look and Name??? please be patient then the coffees and pasties are on me. i'll keep you up to speed.
regards
davethebike
Dayvo, a quick google reveals that there is already a bike shop at 204 Topsham road called Full-Circle cycles, I don't know if it's that one. I think it's in the parade of shops opposite the exit of Barrack road.
Did we ever have an 'Exeter' conversation? My memory's poor. Did you live or go to school there? Twas the place of my Birth and early schooling (Mount Pleasant Road/Regebnts Park/Cathedral School). Still have a fondness for the old place!

OP
OP
D

davethebike

Hi Dayvo, i'm on topsham road, full circle cycles is there now which i am taking over the lease, i have signed the lease and should be in within the next 2-3 weeks, you know what solicitors are like, lol, anyway please hang fire popping in and i'll let you know when i have keys in hand, as i will be giving the place a new look and Name??? please be patient then the coffees and pasties are on me. i'll keep you up to speed.
regards
davethebike

Hello Dave!

Top Bottom