New bike so how do I ....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sjw

... get info to strava? I've ordered a computer but it's coming from china so I thought I could use my old turbo sensors ? No computer with them though.
I'm not doing great distances. In fact I'm pootling round the block until I'm used to the bike but would still be nice to chart my progress.

Can I shove my phone in a bumbag with Strava running to track myself? And it will have to be mobile data on won't it?

Spoons47

Strava is brilliant. Hardly uses any data.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
... get info to strava? I've ordered a computer but it's coming from china so I thought I could use my old turbo sensors ? No computer with them though.
I'm not doing great distances. In fact I'm pootling round the block until I'm used to the bike but would still be nice to chart my progress.

Can I shove my phone in a bumbag with Strava running to track myself? And it will have to be mobile data on won't it?

Yes you can run the strava app on your phone.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Yes to putting your phone in your bag and running Strava to log your rides.
I didn’t think Strava used any data while recording your rides as it tracks using GPS?

Globalti

Legendary Member
You do realise that Strava is not actually essential for enjoyable cycling? You can just buy an OS map, work out some routes then go and ride them. With a map you can take hills and wind direction into account and visit local attractions that you wouldn't otherwise know about.

Strava is superb. With a new bike, you would be well-advised to keep a log of all the parts you use and see how long they last. An instant maintenance record! Strava allows you to do this for free. You can also appreciate your increasing fitness. I am getting on a bit, and I find it tremendously reassuring that I can still get PBs on well-worn sectors (as long as there is a bit of wind assistance of course.) Strava is proof that I haven't lost it all yet. I have no interest in comparing my stats with anyone else's, by the way.
I found myself on a road I have not travelled for a while the other day. When did I last come this way? Two years ago! Strava told me that. All for free. Could I lead a ride for a local group? Just a couple of hours... Strava has all the info I need.
What's not to like? I suspect that people who dislike it are afraid of its misuse for bragging or something. But that would be an issue with the user, not the product. Strava is brilliant.

stuarttunstall

I have used Strava on my Android phone since I came back to cycling in late May after a 40 year short break :smile: 1. I realise I love going out on my bike, even though I only go Saturday and Sunday Morning and up to 14 miles each day, but I think I have the bug again.... 2. Using Strava on my mobile seems to use a little, but not a lot of the battery on my phone, and for what I am doing a cheaper alternative to a dedicated computer which I may get later...

Once I get back home I click "finish" on the phone app, enter a title and it syncs with the Strava website automatically within a few seconds.. I can then share with social media from either the app or the website... the website then lets me see all the details of the ride....

Top Bottom