New bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickb

Guru
Picked up a new bike yesterday. I had a grand to spend under the Cycle to Work scheme and had looked at, amongst others, a Specialized Roubaix, Pinarello Galileo and Orbea Onix. In the end I went for a Time Speeder ($hit name). Full carbon fibre with a Campagnolo Veloce groupset.

Here's a stock image:

time-speeder-08.jpg

Mine has black bar tape, a black saddle and the wheels are Campagnolo Khamsin which are laced differently. I will be removing the decals from the wheels at the first opportunity (one started peeling off after the first ride).

The paint job's a bit uninspiring, especially compared with the very sexy Orbea, but the fit was perfect right out of the box and that swung it.

I've never had a bike with Campagnolo gear before and I must say it seems a lot nicer that the Shimano 105 gear on a few of the bikes I road-tested. I'd say it's every bit as slick as the XTR gear on my Sugar 1 XC bike but a little noisier. The freewheel is very clicky and will save me fitting a bell :smile:

Should I shun Shimano users now? I refuse to start using the word 'Campy'.

I rode it into work this morning with a little trepidation. It'll take me a while to get used to those brake/gear levers. It's the first new road bike I've had since passing my 11-plus (in 1969!) and I'm used to using flat bars with XT/XTR integrated levers, everything seems wrong now that I have to think about where everything is when braking and changing gear.

Having said that, I did the journey in the same time that I usually do as I was a lot quicker on the straights (with a lot less effort too :smile:).

I've fitted my SPD pedals at the moment as I didn't want to have to get used to a new clipless system. What's the consensus on moving to road cleats? I like the look of SPD SLs, would it be totally wrong to put Shimano gear on a Campagnolo bike? :smile:

beancounter

That's really really nice!

Enjoy.

bc

domtyler

Über Member
Nice bike Nick, I'm afraid it would have to be Time pedals with a Time bike.

You wouldn't buy a Porsche and fit Vauxhall wheels would you?

thebikemarket

You need to go with what you are happy with - not with what looks right!

All pedals are very different. I ended up with knee problems with Look pedals, and switched to Time - as they have more "float". Equally I know other people who have had knee problems with Time, and switched to Shimano.

You need to understand which type of pedal suits you - you maybe lucky and you suit all forms of clipless pedal.

SPD's have quite a locked in feel - where as Time have a much free'er feeling - your local bike shop maybe able to let you try some out... or if you know of any friends who have some?

You've made a good investment in the bike - don't ruin it by getting the wrong pedals!

Paul
thebikemarket.com

Top Bottom