New Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy1984

Hi all,

been reading through this site for a while, very informative!

I'd like to get a new bike, havnt been cycling for about 8 years but would like to get back into it with the partner!

I'd like to get a bike mainly for getting fit, day trips and maybe some light touring for a few nights.

I'm thinking some kind of hybrid? the problem is my budget is quite tight at around £200 - £300 each ( i need one for myself and one for girlfriend)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Andrew.

andym

Über Member
At that price level they're all pretty comparable - although the last time I looked, Ridgeback seemed to offer the best value for money. If you have a branch of decathlon near you they are also worth checking out.

Otherwise, if you know a bit about bikes, why not try buying secondhand?

Tedx

I'd buy second hand. You get so much more bike for your money. If it's fairly new there's not much will go wrong with it.

OP
OP
A

andy1984

Well i wouldnt say i'd know a lot about bikes. I'd be happy enough practically to work at them but just would like some guidance on what to buy? what to look for?

Is there any new bikes suitable around that money?

Or any makes and models of second hand ones to look for?

Cheers

Andrew.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I had a Dawes Discovery - they come at different levels and start at just over £200 for girl bikes anyway. I adored it, it was an absolute bargain. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Your requirements suggest that the ideal bike for you would be a good quality tourer or audax bike (audax is effectively a light tourer) but for that your budget is too low. My advice would be to get as good a second hand bargain as you can, simply to get you cycling again and in the meantime save like crazy and do research into high quality tourers (you'll get loads of advice on makes and models here) and then when you've saved around a thousand quid you will be able to get one and due to the cycling you will have put in in the meantime you will be in a position to really appreciate it.

MarkF

Guru
Another for the Discovery. I've just toured on a Dawes Discovery 501 and would have happily done it on a 201. Spend £250 on a 201EQ which includes a decent quality rack and guards and you have all the bike you need to get started.

OP
OP
A

andy1984

Cheers for the advice.

I quite like the look of the discovery 201 EQ actually! seems alot of bike for the money!

Would the lack of drop bars be much of a problem, I think not for the type of cycling i want, it would be be more comfortable!

MarkF

Guru
I suppose it depends on what you are used to/comfortable with. When I had a 201 I bought a Galaxy and then a Horizon and could not get on with the drop bars.

The 201EQ is fantastic value for money and it has a certain amount of bar adjustment.

Top Bottom