New Bloke Saying Hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
As the title says - I have literally just joined the forum - and thought I would introduce myself.

Firstly, I'm a real novice cyclist - but an utter convert. Although, over the years, I have owned various cheapie MTBs, most of these have sat in the garage and gathered dust. The last one was such a bad buy that the only time I actually tried to ride it, I found that my feet actually contacted the front wheel at various angles (purchased from a dodgy el-cheapo place that I would not term as a bike shop - with an sales person, who really only seemed able to advise on colour choice and accessories!!)

Anyway, about 4 months ago, when summer was still shaping up, I decided to bite the bullet, get myself along to my local Halfords Bike Hut, get some proper advice - and get a half decent bike. I wanted to get fit and shift some fat.

After getting some really sound advice, I ended up with a Carerra Vulcan MTB. It was a stroke of luck - I needed a 22" frame (being quite tall) and they just happened to have one in stock - they normally have to special order the 22" frame, apparently.

Haven't looked back since getting it. In quite a short space of time (by my standards) I'm regularly getting out after work (6 ish miles around local woodland) and Saturday would just not seem right with my customary 20 miler. OK, I know that's not a lot by some standards - but I'm still an amateur!!! The good news is that they belly is burning up - and I really have not felt so good in years.

Anyway, this looks a really good place to pick up tips and advice - glad I found it.

Cheers,

Ian.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi & :welcome: to CC

Anyway, about 4 months ago, when summer was still shaping up, I decided to bite the bullet, get myself along to my local Halfords Bike Hut, get some proper advice - and get a half decent bike. I wanted to get fit and shift some fat

Anyway, this looks a really good place to pick up tips and advice - glad I found it.

:welcome:"Halfords Bike Hut, get some proper advice"??? That's a novelty, those words are not often seem in the same sentence. You will find that the vast majority of folk avoid Halfords like the plague, at least as far 'proper advice' goes :whistle: The Carrera and Boardman bikes get good reviews though :biggrin:

Glad your happy with your purchase, but don't feel obliged to go back to Halfords for anything. For every satisfied customer they have there are many more dis-satisfied ones!

Find yourself an LBS, (local bike shop), and develop a relationship with them. It's these sorts of people who will come to your rescue when you need them most, Halfords certainly won't.

Enjoy your bike and ride safe :thumbsup:

OP
OP
IanT

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
:welcome:"Halfords Bike Hut, get some proper advice"??? That's a novelty, those words are not often seem in the same sentence. You will find that the vast majority of folk avoid Halfords like the plague, at least as far 'proper advice' goes :whistle:

LoL - Yes, I do see the obvious humour in my observation about Bike Hut - bit like saying that you go to KFC for Haute Cuisine!!!
biggrin.gif

I've already sought out my preferred LBS and will be patronising them in preference to any of the big enterprises. I actually really like the fact that our LBS has been there for donkeys years - and that speaks volumes to me. And I do prefer to give money to someone who's got a bit of themselves in their business.

I can understand why Carerra get good reviews - honestly, my one feels like it was made just for me.

Cheers,

Ian.

Top Bottom