New cassette and chain slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andywms

I had a worn Shimano cassette on my old Trek 370 and replaced it with the same model, and replaced the chain with the recommended replacement at the same time. I now have occasional slipping that I did not have before! Is it likely that the front chain rings need to now be replaced?

jayce

try the indexing i put all new on mine and had the same problem and it was the indexing

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Chainrings do wear, and will slip when too worn.

One way to tell it's the chainring is that it will get worse quite quickly. It can go from slipping only when accelerating hard out of the saddle to struggling to get up a moderate hill (5%) without slipping in the course of one ride.

e-rider

crappy member
If you have alloy chainrings then wear is quite likely - however, steel rings last for years - how many miles have your chainrings done?

Your gears could just need adjustment. Is your new cassette and chain compatible with each other and the chainrings - are you sure the shop gave you what you asked for? Might be worth double checking. Note: 8 and 9 speed components are not always compatible even though many people claim to use a mixture without problem.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Iainj837 said:
I will be replacing my cassette and chain as not both looking worn.
I have been advised to change the change the chain once a year by my LBS.

Depends on how many miles you do a year. Best to get a chain wear checker

Top Bottom