New cassette, loose sprockets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've just swapped out my old 9 speed 12 - 25 Shimano cassette for a new 12 - 27, but have noticed that there seems to be slightly more play in the new cassette when I do up the lock nut. The amount of play isn't outrageous or anything, it just doesn't seem ... well, right. On the bike it all works well, the new cassette actually changes much smoother than the old (surprise!), just wondered if this is normal, should there be any play at all, should I be worried?

Just for the record, checked that all the spacers/sprockets were present and correct!

lpretro1

Perhaps u need a thin spacer behind the cassette to take up any slack - shouldn't be loose with lockring done up tight

Mile195

Veteran
Play in which direction?
Do you mean:
- play if you grab the cassette and turn it clockwise or anti-clockwise
- or play if you grab the top and bottom of the cassette, i.e you can wiggle it forwards and backwards?

gbb

Legendary Member
Trying to remember if it was a Campg or Shimano cassette, I installed one once and unwittingly didnt get the smallest sprocket located correctly on the spline, then although the lockring tightened up, it was only locking the small sprocket, the others were slightly slack.

OP
OP
W

wonderloaf

Veteran
Hi all, just remembered the wheels (Shimano RS 11's) came with a 1.85mm spacer, which on the packet said it was for 10 and 11 speed only. Just checked a couple of websites and they said should also be used on 9 speed (confused!). Just tried it on the wheel and seems much better, just that the indexing is all over the place now. Oh well, a job for tomorrow night!

bikeman66

Would definitely seem like a spacer issue. They're so cheap to buy, that it's got to be worth trying one to see if it helps...............which I would almost guarantee it will!

Hi all, just remembered the wheels (Shimano RS 11's) came with a 1.85mm spacer, which on the packet said it was for 10 and 11 speed only. Just checked a couple of websites and they said should also be used on 9 speed (confused!). Just tried it on the wheel and seems much better, just that the indexing is all over the place now. Oh well, a job for tomorrow night!

That instruction sounds a bit odd because in terms of cassette width, Shimano-style, 11 speed is widest, then 9, then 10. So a spacer supplied with the wheel would be used for a 9 or a 10 cassette but not for an 11 speed one.

I think with the Shimano 1.85mm spacer, one side is indented where the spacer would sit by the freehub. Used with a 9 speed cassette then, you would fit the spacer with the indents against the freehub, and with a 10 speed cassette, with the indents facing away from the freehub. BB

OP
OP
W

wonderloaf

Veteran
That instruction sounds a bit odd because in terms of cassette width, Shimano-style, 11 speed is widest, then 9, then 10. So a spacer supplied with the wheel would be used for a 9 or a 10 cassette but not for an 11 speed one.

I think with the Shimano 1.85mm spacer, one side is indented where the spacer would sit by the freehub. Used with a 9 speed cassette then, you would fit the spacer with the indents against the freehub, and with a 10 speed cassette, with the indents facing away from the freehub. BB

@bonsaibilly: thanks for the heads up on this, I did try as you suggested but couldn't seem to get the spacer on .... maybe I wasn't doing it correctly, I'll try again tonight.
I would have thought that Shimano would have a clear instruction when and how to use this spacer but I've looked all over the 'net and can't find anything .... confusing!

BTW Thanks to everyone else who's replied to my posting, sorry haven't replied individually but all the input is a great help!

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom