New cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

I have a new 7 speed cassette (Shimano HG30) to go on a new back wheel, complete with the spacer as it's an 8 speed hub. The question is, there is a light coating of grease already on the hub, does it need anthing else? I haven't changed the chain yet but was going to oil and clean the chain again to get some onto the cassette - will this be sufficient? The smallest two cogs of the cassette are loose - I presume just pushing these on in the right order is corect - no other spacers required? The seven speed spacer I will place at the inside of the cassette, not the outside - is this right?

Also - when fitting the cassette -how tight to do up the lock ring? just pinch tight or give it some welly?

Also - the new wheels came with shimano QR skewers, would these be better than my current silver transx (more of a square handle type) ones? I think both sets are only cheap but the transx ones look a bit better IMO and the shimano ones have a circlip holding the lever on - which has failed on a (cheaper) set in the past so not overly keen.

Going to be a busy weekend - have a full set of brake and gear cables to change aswell - hope it rides a bit better after this lot.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Grease on the hub - what's there will be fine. A light coating will stop corrosion, but any more may attract dirt.

The chain - clean it, yes, and only oil the chain, not the cassette. Again, a light coating will stop corrosion, but any more may attract dirt. Bear in mind that if your chain is worn too much, it won't mesh well with the new cassette and will skip.

The two loose sprockets - yup, just slde on, and are held in place by the lockring.

The seven speed spacer - yes, it goes on the inside (nearest the centre of the hub).

The lockring should be marked for the appropriate torque. It will take a bit of welly, definitley more than pinch tight.

QRs - your Tranz-X ones will be fine.

OP
OP
rh100

rh100

thanks landslide, looks like I'm on the right track - will change the chain soonish - guessing I need more tools for it so maybe next month, would like to do the rear mech at the same time.

I'll give the lockring some grunt then - don't have a torque wrench, just the cassette adaptor thing and an adjustable, so will just give it some.

Cheers

Top Bottom