New Chain = New Cassette?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
First time I needed to change a chain I was told £8 for chain and £10 to change. How long will it take I asked? A couple of minutes and we'll do it there and then.

£10 for a couple of mins?? Best learn to do it myself I thought.

Watched a few online videos and read some tutorials.

Now buy online and do it all myself.

We had another thread on exactly this topic a few days ago didn't we?

My experience has been, I've never managed to 'catch' and replace a stretched chain before it's b****ed the cassette :sad:. Maybe it's just that I'm lazy :blush: ?

What makes it worse, seeing as I mostly use only the three middle cogs on my 9-speed, I really only need to replace those, but it works out cheaper to buy a complete new cassette... :angry:

byegad

Legendary Member
Exactly, neither a chain swap, very easy, nor a cassette swap, easy, is an LBS job.

The chain splitting tool plus joining pin if using Shimano (no need for SRAM as they use a link which comes with the chain) for chain replacement is cheap enough to pay for itself in one replacement.

The chain whip and special tool for your make of cassette may take a couple of swaps to pay for themselves. Once you've done it once you'll never use the LBS for these jobs again.

Cycle maintenance isn't rocket science and with the right tool you can do pretty much anything yourself.

This year I've replaced a couple of broken spokes, changed a cassette, from 11-32 to 11-34 the old one was still good after three chains and 12000 miles and the same third chain ran on the new cassette with no issues and replaced a Bottom Bracket for the first time.

RedBike

I tend to go through 3-4 chains per cassette so no, new chain doesn't equal new cassette.

However, you can't use a new chain on a worn cassette.

battered

Guru
I tend to go through 3-4 chains per cassette so no, new chain doesn't equal new cassette.

However, you can't use a new chain on a worn cassette.

Me too. I do try to swap chains fairly prompty though, measure them and replace before 12 1/8. Most recently I dipped out and the new chain slipped on the worn cassette. As the chainrings aren't new (bits box special) and the old ones lasted 15 years/15k miles before needing replacement, I've replaced the tired chain and I'll run it as a pub bike till it's all thoroughly worn out.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If this is the case [too much stretch] then you will need a new cassette to match the new chain. I can't see how it's dangerous, it's just either annoying, or makes the bike unrideable.

If it slips under load while you're standing on the pedals, you could find out what "knackered" really means, so to speak - have you had all the children you think you're likely to want?

But yeah, measure it first. It might well still be fine

Top Bottom